Anyone else into fan harvesting?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Do you try to salvage old fans?

Yes! Never bought a fan new!
3%
Yes. It's worth at least checking them out undervolted.
43%
Yes. They can cool the loud server/gaming/spare machine.
19%
No! My computers deserve nothing but the best!
11%
No...haven't really had many spare fans anyway.
8%
Not anymore. My collection of spare quiet fans is big enough already.
16%

Total votes: 37

IsaacKuo

Anyone else into fan harvesting?

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:00 pm

I have gotten my hands on a lot of computer junk, and recently discovered the joy of scavenging around them for undervoltable fans. Basically, I never bothered before because I relied on the PSU fan for airflow and was afraid of PSU modding.

Well, I got over my fear of PSU modding, which has radically opened up my horizons for experimenting with fans. I now find that ALL of my old loud PSUs are potential candidates for silencing.

However, I suppose most of you buy quiet fans brand new. Do you just discard the fans you're replacing? Or do you at least try to see how they do undervolted?

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Yeah, I enjoy digging up old parts/fans and playing around with them, some are noisy, some that I have come across could be classified as SPCR material, here is my tentative inventory of fans:
(~15) 80mm, 3 or 4 ADDAs a "silentek" fan from an HP power supply. very quiet. A couple Nidec fans, not too quiet, but very reliable.

(2)92mm, a stock zalman fan form a CNPS 7000, extremely quiet, with a good staring voltage, somewhere around 3.5-3.8

(10) 120mm, 2 no-name fans form some old junky server, they griiiinnnd, bearings are probably shot, 2 ADDAs from a PC7 Plus, 2 AC120s from some telephony server dealiey, and 4 fans from a rackmount server, 48v, 65cfm, rubber blades....yeah. rubber. theyre fairly quiet, and not hazardous to fingers.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Ralf gets quoted in a sig?? Damn! :-D

I salvage fans, and buy interesting fans (both old and new) when I come across them. Not all of them are quiet - I bought a 10W Delta by mistake once, and decided to keep it for the heck of it. I'm a hopeless pack rat..

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:32 am

I do tend to get all-new fans for my own rigs, but I did that quite a few times before stumbling onto Nexus fans. The box of decommisioned fans is still quite full so those come in handy when doing a system build for friends or family.

But more to the point of this poll: I often rip out all fans from a junk system before actually throwing it out. Sometimes there are quite nice finds in there. Yes, I even salvage the tiny 40mm's: those can come in handy to replace shot fans on old mobo's or videocards where a passive sink is hard to fit (or too much hassle).

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:26 am

My philosophy so far has been "Never throw ANYTHING away." I have a box of old power supplies to go with my growing box of fans. You just never know. Teejay is right, a lot of this stuff is great for fixing someone else's computer who doesn't have a noise hangup. I recently pieced together a whole PC for use as a media PC from old motherboards, old cases, fans, etc.

Nice thing is how easily it all stores away. All my coords and pieces fit into a nice big container in the closet. Whenever my wife begins to get a little unhappy with the piles of cords, adapters, parts, etc. in the den, I remind her what it would be like if I had cars for a hobby instead of computers. :twisted:

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:30 am

sundevil_1997 wrote:Whenever my wife begins to get a little unhappy with the piles of cords, adapters, parts, etc. in the den, I remind her what it would be like if I had cars for a hobby instead of computers.
ROFL! Thanks for that great tip! :lol:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:34 am

sundevil_1997 summed it up perfectly... :roll:

Pete

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:22 pm

sundevil_1997 wrote:My philosophy so far has been "Never throw ANYTHING away."
Look, I'm the bloke with a 20Mb MFM hard drive upstairs in a box, plus a few ISA cards. Might come in, if I ever want to restore an 8086. ;)

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:56 pm

cpemma wrote:
sundevil_1997 wrote:My philosophy so far has been "Never throw ANYTHING away."
Look, I'm the bloke with a 20Mb MFM hard drive upstairs in a box, plus a few ISA cards. Might come in, if I ever want to restore an 8086. ;)
Oh, that's not any worse that my U.S. Robotics external 36k baud modem I have amongst the other treasures. (Going on about 5 years of broadband now). :shock:

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm

Pfft, that's nothing. I have an old US Robotics 14.4k modem I got when BT Internet (major ISP/internet supplier in UK) first started up. It still gets used to send the odd fax!

ilh

Post by ilh » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:05 pm

300 baud acoustic coupling modem anyone? 8)

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 pm

5.25" floppy drive (both 720kB and 1.2Mb version), BNC-only 10 Mbit NICs, 2x CD-rom drive with proprietary 8bit ISA interface card, 32bits Vesa local bus video cards... I fix old PCs at elementary schools every now and then, so this stuff comes in handy at unexpected moments.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:41 am

cpemma wrote:Look, I'm the bloke with a 20Mb MFM hard drive upstairs in a box, plus a few ISA cards.
I put the 20Mb MFM hard drive I had into a "typewriter" I build for my sister a few years ago. I think the oldest piece of hardware I still have is an ISA card to add a clock to a PC that doesn't have one.

But for fans I am very picky. I've thrown away the original fans from my Antec TP380S PSU's. (I kept the frame from one after I cut the rotor out.)

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:14 am

Some of the best equipment ,(bits and pieces) I have are recycled from old ex-govt computers , printers and other office equipment .
A good example is a low speed Ceramic bearing 92mm delta fan out of a colour laser printer I scrapped out - the problem is that I can not buy one as a retail Item . a lot of high end components that are now out of date (3 yrs old) have fans etc of the highest quality that was available at the time . often much higher quality than is available in the retail chain . Although most are 6000+ rpm screamers that are of little use to any body who still has any hearing ability at all.
5400 rpm 120x50mm delta anybody? :twisted:
Be just the ticket for a 50mm heater core for a deaf person