Finally..a quiet slot fan.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Finally..a quiet slot fan.

Post by Bluefront » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:37 am

Quiet ones are hard to find. This one from SVC does it for me. I bought three, and sure enough one is clicky at all speeds. The other two are good with only a faint click noise at 5V. All three start fine at 5V.....not bad at 12V.

This a long fan....would stick in your case past the edge of most cards. The fan itself is about 90mm with a completely open intake. It blows a lot of air and is acceptable to me even at 12V. You can reverse the mount so it would suck from either side. It could be shortened with some cutting. I can envision a bunch of different uses for it.... :lol:

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:49 am

I was thinking it could be used to replace a broken or noisy vga/nv/ati silencer fan, but it's probably too big, and looks like it's just a regular type fan. Does it look any different from a staight blowing fan?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:57 am

Yeah it looks big.....the fan blades look like a regular fan. This must have sleeve bearings because there is no bearing noise at all in my samples. I just finished shortening one by 1 1/8"....not too hard.

You could place one of these at the outlet of a PSU (after removing the PSU fan). This would give the exhaust a 90 degree turn right at the case. Might be useful for some quieting mod..... :)

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:50 am

hmmm....I might have to pick up a couple myself. Looks like this could be the answer I've been looking for for my graphics card. I don't want to go Artic Silencer b/c so many people are having problems, but I really would like to get that 70C air out of my case before it wafts up to my CPU and PSU. Do you think that a Zalman 700 with this mounted the PCI slot below it could work?

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:28 am

Green Shoes wrote:Do you think that a Zalman 700 with this mounted the PCI slot below it could work?
I doubt it, the two fans would be acting directly against each other if they're overlapping, and even if they're not, the exhaust blower would probably suck up the vast majority of the fresh air before it can reach the zalman.

Maybe you should try simply making a duct for the video card, how about one that's basically a cover for the underside of the card except with holes above the fan and at the back?

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Sorry, I meant the 700 with the fan removed :oops:

Probably would be cheaper just to make a duct yourself, though.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:11 pm

Oh.... Yeah a DIY duct would be cheaper, but the blower sound like a nice hassle free solution.

nathan_Chan168

Post by nathan_Chan168 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:36 pm

im curious, this fan is similar to a normal fan

so wouldnt the air just be being sucked up then hitting the plastic part and mostly rebounded back out the fan?

Most exhaust fans are like this
where the actual fan is like a water wheel.. so the air will go 90degrees outwards.

anyone have any input?
it looks good and is pretty cheap tho

-nathan