How to pick a fan controller?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dni

How to pick a fan controller?

Post by dni » Fri May 20, 2005 6:46 am

I'll be building a system using the P-180 case soon (hopefully), and know that I'll have at least a couple of fans in there.

Are there any recommendations as to which controller is best? Is an LCD screen worth it? Do some controllers look good but actually suck?

Bowing before your collective wisdom,

Dni

fjf

fans

Post by fjf » Fri May 20, 2005 8:27 am

The best, T-balancer: http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/produkte.htm

Not cheap, but it controls 4 fans, many temps, and can shutoff the computer if temps go up too much...

Regards.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Fri May 20, 2005 8:35 am

If you don't mind manual controls, I love my Rheobus.http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?n ... tent&id=35

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Fri May 20, 2005 9:10 am

T-Balancer is the best, but expensive, and requires quite a bit of technical expertise to use. Aerocool GateWatch is somewhat similar, but oriented at "less technical" users - it does less than T-Balancer, but it does so automatically, with almost no setup. Sunbeam Rheobus gives you full range of control, but manual only, and REALLY UNSAFE around small children.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: How to pick a fan controller?

Post by sthayashi » Fri May 20, 2005 2:32 pm

dni wrote:I'll be building a system using the P-180 case soon (hopefully), and know that I'll have at least a couple of fans in there.

Are there any recommendations as to which controller is best? Is an LCD screen worth it? Do some controllers look good but actually suck?
Um... It's a fan controller. Define what sucks and what's good.

There are only a couple variables in fan controllers, but the biggest difference functionality-wise is mostly in how it looks.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri May 20, 2005 4:01 pm

I once recommended a fan controller that fit into a front drive bay. Of course in a case with a front door this is not very convenient.

So for the P180 you need a t-balancer. A basic system is a great deal considering what you get, and all the displays and adjustments are on screen. There are plenty of readers with t-balancers to help out if you should find it difficult to set up.

Install software, install usb driver, connect fans and temp sensors to the t-bal module, configure fan and sensor combinations, play with temp/fan speed curves. - FG

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:38 pm

frankgehry wrote:I once recommended a fan controller that fit into a front drive bay. Of course in a case with a front door this is not very convenient.
Actually, if you get a fan controller with front side access, I DEFINITELY recommend a door on the PC to cover/protect it, as I mentioned here and Gholam alluded to above.

I have a two-step solution to this. I have a sunbeam Rheobus for HD and case fans. I have found that overall, you can set the fans to a specific setting that meets the quietness and cooling needs of the system and you really won't need to adjust it anymore. Then, for the CPU fan, I just simply use Speedfan, which takes care of the thermal-based control.

Honestly, if I had the $$, I probably would have gone with the t-balancer, just because I LOVE to personally control the system. But my cooling/quieting needs are rather simple, and I'd rather be able to buy quieter fans with the money I saved. But that's just me.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat May 21, 2005 7:46 pm

Be aware that the Tbalancer is a PWM controller and a lot of fans click badly on them (panafo fans in particular)
I have only experimented with their PCI slot version (but now I have all my computers down to at most 3 fans the PSU and case fans are at 5v any way so that just leaves the cpu fan )
I live in one of the warmer parts of Australia . so if you get your case ventilation right , you would only need a Zalman fan mate.
KISS principle
Less there is the less to go wrong.