Silent Fans in Australia?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:43 am

I just ordered myself 4 :) (Nexus 120 mm). Though I'll probably get a Papst FGL14 as the fan I'll use with the Thermalright XP120 when I get one.

Artanis

Post by Artanis » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:01 am

I think i'll email Rod (lownoisepc) or pccasegear and try and persuade them to import Nexus fans. We need em down here! 8)

Or maybe a group buy from OCAU would be the best idea (gotta email Agg). I'm sure many would be willing to buy these exceptional fans.

Art.

Red Valdez

Post by Red Valdez » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:43 am

Artanis wrote:Or maybe a group buy from OCAU would be the best idea (gotta email Agg). I'm sure many would be willing to buy these exceptional fans.
I thought that Agg banned group buys after a few nasty experiences? :?

If you went through with a group buy, you'd probably find enough interest on these forums. Heck, if the price was reasonable, I might be up for buying a few.

Orbit

Post by Orbit » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:57 am

I sent an email to pccasegear a few months ago, suggesting nexus fans, and seasonic PSUs, and how they would be attracting a new set of clients.... Silent PC Clients... ;)

got an email back saying
Thank you for the product suggestion. We will look into this and see what we
can do about adding these to our range.

Best regards,
James.
Of course nothing as yet. I really need new fans too, 3rd time this week my Panaflo 120mm FBA12G12L has just... stopped. Its currently running on just 5V (I swapped a molex connector around for that). at 12V its noisy as hell, and vibrates a LOT...

Will have to take it off tomorrow & clean & maybe spray with some silicon stuff.

My stupid ATI Silencer 3 too is getting noisier, and if I turn my computer off for more than 5 minutes, the fan sounds like its dying when I startup again (until I get into windows, then it speeds up a bit).

Artanis

Post by Artanis » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:37 pm

Red Valdez wrote:If you went through with a group buy, you'd probably find enough interest on these forums. Heck, if the price was reasonable, I might be up for buying a few.
I know i'll be up for at least 2 Nexus'. Perhaps if we can get interest of about 20+ or so, a group buy might be feasible.

If there is a lot of interest, perhaps a discount would be possible? 8). Doubt it though. They're currently $16US or $21AUD each.

To make people feel more secure and comfortable, I think doing this via OCAU would be best :wink:

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:52 am

I am not in Oz, but in South Africa. However we too have limited availability (far more so than Australia) and I have a suggestion: contact Nexus direcly. They are based in the Netherlands I believe. I have always found that when I want to get something which isn't distributed here, contacting the manufacturer is the best bet. They are often more than willing to sale direct since there are no importers, and they often will give you extremely good pricing.

For example - we need a 1U passive cooler made by Spire for a rackmount unit we produce at work. They retail for around $24-$26 in the US. I contacted them direct exlplaining that there is no distribution and we would like to buy direct instead of having to buy from the US. To cut a long story short - they were very glad to sell direct. and the coolers cost us $10 each! Of course shipping was extra, but brining in 10+ in one go made shipping costs very low at around $2-3 each.

Cheers,
X

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:21 am

Slidax wrote:well they arrived today
so Slidax, how quiet are they? enjoying the silence you are? :)
i just ordered 4, paid US$81.00 including postage.
that's about $27.00 each, delivered! heck, i had to pay $40.00 for a noisy PAPST, so AU$27.00 for a Nexus, delivered, is sweet as

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:31 pm

Did you also buy a Papst FGL 4412? I found my one to be quite noisy (Lownoisepc), noisier than the Antec Tricool at medium... I also got some noise when spinning the fan manually (I think the blades were hitting the side) so I'm wondering if it was just a dodgey individual fan...

The Nexus 120 mm @ 12V are very quiet, though there is some minor chatter noise, though there are definitely are louder things in my computer (newly built), so I'll deal with them first.

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:24 am

i got the 4412FGL PAPST from http://www.lownoisepc.com
not quiet at 12V, down to 7V still not good enough for me... so yeah, my advice, if you are looking for really quiet fans, PAPST is not what you need imo
looking forward to get these orange Nexus wonders. they are like a week away now :)

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:39 am

I'm just wondering if my options are limited as I plan to overclock eventually. The FGL 4412 does seem to be a decent option if higher cfm's are requirered, but I'm not 100% sure that they are atm.

I might stick with the Papst, or consider modding a Nexus 120 mm fan for the XP-120 if lower cfm's are good with my overclocked Winchester 3500+.

I'm hearing other noises at the momen in my case which are more annoying (particularly at bootup). It might be my chipset fan (I think it's this - DFI NF4U Lanparty), though it might be my AC ATI Silencer 5 R2 (though even at 100%, it's noise is lower pitched than the noise I'm hearing). Oh, and my optical drives are VERY loud.

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:19 am

atomidude wrote:
so Slidax, how quiet are they? enjoying the silence you are? :)
put it this way, im thinking about getting 2 more haha (i have many loud boxen here)

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:06 am

i've got 3 "redundant" Nexus fans, 120mm. brand new, in original box, ready to go :) if anybody interested, please pm me

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:44 am

3 redundant ones? Why not use them as case fans?

I originally ordered 4, but then I wanted a 92 mm one, so I go that and another 2 120 mm ones, as shipping costs weren't increasing. I sold 1 for $30. I'm thinking of keeping 5, as 3 definitely for the case, 1 for my XP120, and maybe 1 for the front of my P180 (as I'm thinking of getting rid of the chipset fan and I may need more chipset cooling - and a front fan on a P180 blows onto the chipset area of my DFI NF4 Ultra-D, though it has to get past cable clutter..)

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:18 am

jermaink wrote:3 redundant ones? Why not use them as case fans?
...because i strongly believe that one fan cools all if you use it in the right spot :D http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19874

i ordered 4 to recover my expenses, not worth getting only one shipped.

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:56 am

I ordered 3 Nexus 120's from www.siliconacoustics.com They arrived half way around the world in under 5 days, and worked out to AU$28.10 each, including postage. :D I've also found fan guard mouting inserts suitable for the 25mm closed flanges, at altronics, $9.95 for pack of 12. Unfortunately only found these after ordering EAR grommets from siliconacoustics, and had already dremeled the Nexii. :oops:

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:09 am

Nexus fans should be available within Australia from PC Case Gear (http://www.pccasegear.com) within about 3 weeks.

runcible

Post by runcible » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:29 am

Sweet! How do you know? Everytime I go there I've been typing 'Nexus fans please??' in their suggestion box. Glad to know it's happening!

sipitai

Post by sipitai » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:53 am

Sounds like all your suggestions worked :)

I have been emailing James from PC Case Gear in regards to the availability of the Nexus fans, and he said that a shipment is due to arrive to them around October 7th - 10th.

Tim_U

Post by Tim_U » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:56 pm

Kickarse! :) Thanks for the heads-up.

Looks like PCCG is fast becoming one of the best Silent Components sites in Oz!

Keep up the good work :)
Tim.

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Awesome news! They really seem to be listening to their customers, they're always bringing out great new stuff. I hope their prices aren't too expensive, but they're normally pretty reasonable.

Red Valdez

Post by Red Valdez » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:19 am

I just bought seven Yate Loon 120mm fans from www.tekgems.com. They're normally $10.99US, but they're $4.99US if you buy in bulk. A mate's taking two for his PC, I'm taking two for my new case, and I'll figure I'll put the others to use somewhere :P

On the receipt, shipping was $28.50US. All up (for seven fans + Global Express delivery), it cost $82AU. This works out to be a measley $11.70AU per fan including delivery. I haven't seen ANY 120mm fans for sale that cheap in Australia - I think PlusCorp have 120mm Coolermaster or Glacial fans for ~$14, but even then, they aren't as good, and the price excludes delivery.

Oh yeah, I ordered the fans on Sunday night, and the fans arrived here in regional Queensland on Friday morning. Pretty bloody impressive in my books :D

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:22 pm

GlacialTech Silentblade 120 mm fans only cost AUD $9 each from HB Outlet, and they're apparently very similar to the Nexus 120 mm fans in noise character.

gitto

Post by gitto » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:54 pm

I use a Silentblade 120mm in the lower chamber of my P180 to cool my Antec Phantom. At 5V, it moves very little air, but is spinning so slow I can't hear it from 10cm away, and it is enough to keep the Phantom cool.

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:21 am

sipitai wrote:Sounds like all your suggestions worked :)

I have been emailing James from PC Case Gear in regards to the availability of the Nexus fans, and he said that a shipment is due to arrive to them around October 7th - 10th.
nice one :)

i used that little suggestion form a couple times as well, it will be interesting to see how much pccasegear charge for these fans.. i have a suspicion it wont be cheap

swaction

Post by swaction » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:36 pm

I have found pccasegear's shipping prices to be a bit steep. As a result, purchasing Nexus fans from www.endpcnoise.com fits the bill nicely...

Fast service, relativly inexpensive, but I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on fans.... (I know I have a whole pile of rejects now - hehehe)

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:36 pm

Hi Guys

Just a heads up that these have just shown up on the pccg website. I've just ordered 5 myself (3x80mm + 2x92mm) for my silverstone lc17b. Prices seem pretty reasonable pretty much equal to endpcnoise once shipping is taken into account. One thing to note there website seems a bit screwy with freight calculation it quoted me $100 to ship the 5 fans to Sydney, a quick phonecall had it ammended to $12. Going to order some fan grommets from altronics now.

regards Dave