Papst Clicking

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

supastar
-- Vendor --

Papst Clicking

Post by supastar » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:40 am

What is all this ******* about clicking on Papst fans? I am a UK reseller of Papst fans and I have a). never had a customer complain, b). never had an item returned. I run these fans extensively and I have never heard this infamous clicking. I have spoken to the UK arm of Papst and I have spoken to the parent in Germany, and no one has heard of this clicking nor had any customers or resellers approach them on the subject. So what's the problem? If anyone would like to send me their 'clicking' fan, I will willingly listen to it and return it.

Or is this a plot by a minor fan manufacturer to undermine the market leader?

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:11 am

hello that's why i got my panaflo.

but now i look more into it, papst does have better reputation and at least looks better on the paper.

i would like to give papst a try.

is there any site in english for papst fans? i'm looking to buy two-three papst 80mm fan pushing anywhere between 10-20cfm @ around or less than 20dbel.

let me know.

i'm in usa.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:16 am

Well i dont think its any kind of conspiracy! Have you tried undervolting them? I know you would be quite right if you replied 'They're not supposed to be undervolted', and thats fair enough, but people here do undervolt even the NGL 12dB fans (I do anyway :)), and its just something people have thought worth mentioning concerning these fans...

PS next time you speak to Papst, tell them they need to make something slower than the NGL! :D :P

quokked

Re: Papst Clicking

Post by quokked » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:00 pm

supastar wrote: Or is this a plot by a minor fan manufacturer to undermine the market leader?
All your fans are belong to us...

Sorry couldn't resist :wink:

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:26 am

I have only tried the NGL series, and even at 12 volts I hear a clicking on all four fans. It is very very faint, but enough to drive me completely insane. Slowing the fan down increases the time between each click, making it more noticable as a click.

This is in my Lian Li PC-50, which is much more open (especially after my mods) so noise escapes much easier than my steel desktop Antec case. This combined with my sensitive, easily annoyed ears puts a quite a spotlight on the fans...