Wiring problem connecting Fan Controller to Artic Cooler 5.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davids

Wiring problem connecting Fan Controller to Artic Cooler 5.

Post by davids » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:22 am

Hello

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before- I cannot locate anything.

The wiring on my Artic Cooler 5 (for GPU) is RED- BLACK- YELLOW on a female plug.

The wiring on my Fanmate 2 controller is BLACK- RED- WHITE and on my Akasa fan controller is BLACK- RED (2 wires)- both controllers have male plugs.

I assume that BLACK must mate with BLACK and RED with RED! Therefore, there appears to be no way of physically connecting either of the controllers to the Artic Cooler, as red and blacks are reversed. Any suggestions, please????

Incidentally, the reason I want to do the above is to stop the Artic Cooler from ramping up by '5 volting' it. The airflow inside my case is best described as rubbish, despite installing 2 Panaflows (ATI Tray Tools states that the inside case temp is about 42 degrees with very light use). The Artic Cooler 5 fan speed is regulated by the PWM controller on the X800 graphics card and it tends to ramp up after a few minutes.

Thanks

d. 8)

davids

Post by davids » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:47 pm

Anyone? :?

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:48 pm

If you are patient, you can reverse the wires on the female connection. Typically, the wires are not soldered in, but merely use a "catch" to hold them in place. If you look at the side (not the end) of the female connector, you can usually see some slots that run parallel to the wires. If you use a knife or thin screwdriver, you can push down through these slots to release the catch, then pull the wires out. Once you have the wires out, you can just insert them into the slots you want, and they should "recatch" and stay in place.

This works for other types of female connectors, too. USB connectors, case wiring connectors, etc.

davids

Post by davids » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:01 pm

I never knew that :)

I've managed to get a tiny screwdriver into the slot and pressed down. But the wires won't come free.

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:55 pm

Keep playing with it some. The catch is usually in the form of a hook, with the base of the hook toward the end of the connector. If you concentrate on the part of the slot away from the end, you can usually squeeze the hook together enough so that the wire will slide out.

As you can tell, this is probably one of those things more easily explained in person than written in words.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:09 pm

This link has a lot of information about connectors. http://marvin3m.com/connect/#tools

If you pull on the wire you could easily pull the wire out of the pin instead of removing the pin from the female housing.

Press down on the tang with an xacto knife or small screwdriver and push the pin out with a paperclip. If you look at the the pins in the link you will see what needs to be done. - FG

davids

Post by davids » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:24 am

Thanks

I'll give it a go 8)

jamesm

Post by jamesm » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:47 pm

If you game, watch your temps at 5V. They can climb pretty high...

davids

Post by davids » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:38 am

Yeah, but the GPU can run pretty hot safely, can't it? I'll either 5-volt the Artic Cooler or replace it completely! 8)

davids

Post by davids » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:54 am

frankgehry wrote:This link has a lot of information about connectors. http://marvin3m.com/connect/#tools

If you pull on the wire you could easily pull the wire out of the pin instead of removing the pin from the female housing.

Press down on the tang with an xacto knife or small screwdriver and push the pin out with a paperclip. If you look at the the pins in the link you will see what needs to be done. - FG

Hello

I haven't been able to release the pins, although I have a tiny screwdriver which is just the right size :(

Is there another way of doing it, such as cutting the wires on the Artic Cooler, cutting the wires on the Akasa fan controller and just STICKING them together somehow?

D.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 pm

davids wrote:
frankgehry wrote:This link has a lot of information about connectors. http://marvin3m.com/connect/#tools

Hello

I haven't been able to release the pins, although I have a tiny screwdriver which is just the right size :(

Is there another way of doing it, such as cutting the wires on the Artic Cooler, cutting the wires on the Akasa fan controller and just STICKING them together somehow?

D.
Try pressing "down and out" sort of depress the pin shile you try to push it out the back. you might also have to tug on the wire a little bit. Good luck.