Logisys fan controller?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

feddup

Logisys fan controller?

Post by feddup » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:06 pm

I was looking for an inexpensive 3.5 inch bay fan controller to regulate two globe 1200MM fans. Has anyone tried this particular model by Logisys
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813998803

Any experiences would be appreciatted.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:19 pm

Well I have one.....I also bought the LianLi version. Nice looking panel.....but the fan control is lame. It only goes down to 7V. It seems to only have two speeds....the idle speed you set, and wide open. The second speed you set according to the max temp you want to run.

Unfortunately.....when it reaches this point, the fan goes to max, and an alarm beeper goes off. It does turn off after awhile, but it's annoying. I had to unsolder mine to kill the beeper......bahh. :?

Not recommended by me....unless you want it for the temp and rpm readouts. That's nice looking.

feddup

Thanks!

Post by feddup » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:46 am

Thanks for the heads up. I thought it was too good to be true. I was looking for a "perfect" cheap automatic controller. NOT going to happen! I'll end up controlling the fans manually. I'd like not to use up a 5 1/4 drive bay and I'd like to avoid knobs sticking out causing potential clearance issues. Thanks for the information. I'm glad I didn't buy more pretty useless lights.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:22 am

Let me update this thread....I'm now using the Lian-Li version of this controller in a SFF I'm modding. The guts of the two are exactly the same...so is the operation.

If you unsolder the beeper, the thing can be used without being annoying. I'm not sure of the lowest voltage this controller (PWM) can attain. A fan capable of 2100rpm, will turn 1750rpm at the lowest setting. You mount a supplied sensor at the spot you want to monotor...like the CPU. Then you input a reading as your max temp. When the temp reaches that point, the controller goes to max. If the temp drops one degree, the fan slows to the minimum. This is a two-speed controller. You cannot set the low point....only the max turn-on point.

However.....if you use this controller along with a Fanmate, you can adjust the base idle speed. Right now I have the Fanmate dialed down so the Lian-Li is idling at 1500rpms....and goes to the max of 1850. I'm using the Fan-Mate to adjust the over-all temp range of the Lian-Li.

So if such a control is what you can use, this little controller can do the job. It does give three temp and rpm read-outs.....not bad for a small,compact package.

feddup

Thanks again!

Post by feddup » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:36 pm

Thanks for your very specific details. Such information is hard to come by. I guess I'll keep on looking. I'd like a smothe "automatic" hardware solution without spending $70 . Finding a "perfect" peice of hardware is often difficult if not impossible.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:17 pm

Yeah....unless you can find a forum devoted to this sort of product, or a very thorough review, like an SPCR review, you almost have to buy the thing to know what you're getting.

That's what I did with those two controllers.....fortunately they were on sale when I got them. Actually as a temp/rpm monitor alone, they are worth the price. ($15 for the Logisys)

feddup

options

Post by feddup » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm contemplating the hardcano 12 since both expert reviewers and people who own it seem satisfied. It's $60 and uses a 5 1/4 bay but i use that PC a great deal and want the fans to adjust automatically. I hope it works well with the globes I bought. I considered just using the thermistors that come with the globes but heard at SPCR that their speed adjustments were far from smoothe. No easy answers!