HELP! Antec Sonata PSU problem

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattek

HELP! Antec Sonata PSU problem

Post by mattek » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:51 am

Hi!

A new Sonata based system landed on my doorstep today. Typing away on it right now.

Problem: The PSU fan is not moving at all and I have been running the system for more than an hour. Is this normal? Shouldn't the fan be spinning at least a little?

I do not want this system to burn up as I install BF2, what should I do?

Thx,
mattek

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:56 am

assuming that you mean the Sonata II is your new case, you dont have a problem. The new Sonata II's feature the Antec SmartPower II power supply. The new Power Supplies have two 80mm the exterior of which (the one you can see) only starts spinning once the temperature gets high enough. Read the SPCR review for more details http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page1.html

mattek

Post by mattek » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:04 am

Ahhh.. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Can this threshold temp be configured somehow?

Thx,
mattek

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:09 am

not from the outside. If you cracked open the psu and figured out how the measured the temperature im sure you could figure it out somehow.

glassvial

Post by glassvial » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:56 am

About a month ago I bought a PSU that had a stuck fan in it. Plugged the PSU into my PSU tester and the fan didn't spin at all. Gave it a good push with a screwdriver and it started spinning (wish it hadn't now, the thing is noisy and will be replaced). This probably isn't the problem you have, just an FYI.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:52 pm

Leave it on a torture test in Prime95 for a few hours and then see how warm it's gotten to touch, if it burns you you've got issues, if it's not then be happy, your PSU is silent.