Nexus 120mm fan now also in black&white.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Nexus 120mm fan now also in black&white.

Post by Tibors » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:04 am

For all those people hating the orange colour of the original Nexus 120mm fans, there is now a version in black&white.For sale here.

EugeneMak

Post by EugeneMak » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:00 am

Studies have shown black computers perform fastest so maybe black fans cool better.

Check out the 'research' at http://www.dansdata.com/black.htm.
Tongue definitely and firmly in check.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

I think Dr Amanda Butts mentioned in the article is also known as Dr R U Awake (Are You Awake).

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:44 am

FYI: Was already introduced here. I do like the look.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:05 am

those look really nice. the only thing i worry about is the hardness of the blades. i know the softer clear plastic fan blade fans tend to make a more annoying noise frequency and also bend easier creating more noise than the black harder plastic fan blades.

Feyrhel

Post by Feyrhel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:41 am

Now if they could only make them in black/silver!

Sparkytfl

Post by Sparkytfl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:37 am

black silver would be cool, or all black. I wonder if it would mess one up spraypainting it. It definitely looks better than the orange at least.
And thanks for the store link. Saw these yesterday but couldn't find anybody selling them.
Wait that's in netherlands. nevermind.

Sparkytfl

Post by Sparkytfl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:00 pm

So has anybody found a place selling these in the US yet?

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 pm

A new color is definitely more important than selling a version with open corners.

I love buying an expensive box with a bunch of extraneous crap just so I can get some overpriced fan isolators that work with their fans.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:57 pm

Pgh wrote:I love buying an expensive box with a bunch of extraneous crap just so I can get some overpriced fan isolators that work with their fans.
That's why there is a Sticky on how to cut the corners and another thread about the Zip-Tie Fan Mount Method....DIY. Both are easy and cheap. Painting a fan on the other hand is not so trivial. You'll most likely unbalance it while doing that.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:47 pm

I've cut the corners of a couple of Nexus and Yate Loons and decided I'd rather spend the money on the Nexus isolators. It's a time vs money trade-off that I decided to come down on the side of saving time. Others may decide differently.

The situation with the closed corners on Nexus fans sort of reminds me of analogous situation with Zalman products. Zalman is a company that caters to the low noise market and yet the fans they use in their stuff suck. People here routinely rip out the Zalman fans and replace them with Nexus fans. Zalman could get quieter fans from Yate Loon or somewhere else but they chose not to. So in order to operate Zalman products at their quietest potential you must modify them.

Nexus also caters to the low noise market, and until recently their fans had to be modified in order to operate at their quietest potential. Rather than simply telling Yate Loon to start using one of their fan frame molds with open corners, Nexus realized there was money to be made from people who don't want to take the time to cut the corners. And so Nexus fan isolators were introduced costing several times as much as the industry-standard EAR isolators.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:09 am

And so Nexus fan isolators were introduced costing several times as much as the industry-standard EAR isolators.
Other than McMaster-Carr, anywhere on the web, well, at least shops that specialize in silencing gear, markup EAR isolators for more. You'd spend $3, minimum, for a set of 4. Some places charge even more. A set of Verax rubber sticks, that DO work on closed flange, unlike the EAR, cost $5 for a set of 4.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 am

I like the new look :D And cuting the corners is really easy.. i used my Leatherman wich happens to have a saw, first i sawed the corners and then just snapped them off with the Leatherman pliers... Leatherman I have the Wave, the New Wave or Charge Ti are tempting though but ill just stick with my trusty old wave :) These things basically last forever.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:38 am

Orange vs. b/w Nexii:

The black/white ones came from endpcnoise.com.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:08 pm

Stylish!

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:51 am

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:43 pm

I don't really like the look of the black and white one. It just seems too cold, and more decorational than functional. Like something you'd buy in a furniture store that would "look good on the table" but is decorational only, and isn't a real fan at all.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 am

Shadowknight wrote:I don't really like the look of the black and white one. It just seems too cold, and more decorational than functional. Like something you'd buy in a furniture store that would "look good on the table" but is decorational only, and isn't a real fan at all.
heh, it's not like bright orange is a fashion statement either. Must say i prefer the b/w ones to orange, and hence i have 3 of them, moded a bit to remove the extra power connectors and sleeve the wires, just waiting for my case to arrive.