Nexus cost less than $1.88 in reality

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zebo

Nexus cost less than $1.88 in reality

Post by Zebo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:05 pm

http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=13714

This is the medium speed model (Yate Loon D12SM-12) ..just fine @ 7-9V..same as found in fortron 120mm PSU's etc. Unfortunatly they require reseller's licence to get them.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:32 pm

That's a medium speed Yate Loon. I think the Nexus comparable Yate Lonn model is S12SL-12.

Anyway, I guess that's how the price structure work in this kind of trade. :)

guava

Post by guava » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:55 pm

That's a medium speed Yate Loon. I think the Nexus comparable Yate Lonn model is S12SL-12.
Yes, the D12SL-12 is the same fan as the Nexus 120, the only difference being that the Yate Loon has higher rpm at 12V: 1300rpm vs. 1000 with Nexus. That and the huge price difference. I don't care how rigorously Nexus tests those fans, it's still criminal what they charge for them. The D12SM-12 is tough to find (in stock, that is). However...

At the risk of having another seller have their stock wiped out, I just saw that the Yate Loon D12SL-12 is in stock at Jab-tech - and cheap too! I bought a couple myself. Funny how Jab-tech doesn't consider this a "quiet" fan, but they put the Nexus there. It's especially shameless when you compare the model numbers. Such is marketing, I guess.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:28 pm

Criminaly expensive? They can be found for under $12 american up here, I think that's quite good.

If selling yate loons actually was easy and profitable then the hell with further price cuts, GIMME MORE SELECTION!

Zebo

Post by Zebo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:35 pm

ultraboy wrote:That's a medium speed Yate Loon. I think the Nexus comparable Yate Lonn model is S12SL-12.

Anyway, I guess that's how the price structure work in this kind of trade. :)
Same fan, they just change resistor to swap speeds. All manufactures do same. In essense someone like Yate Loon only has two 120mm models a ball bearing one and a sleeve bearing one. I actually prefer the medium speed "M" since it becomes an "S" at 9V while still being able to ramp up if really needed.

Zebo

Post by Zebo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:37 pm

mathias wrote:Criminaly expensive? They can be found for under $12 american up here, I think that's quite good.

If selling yate loons actually was easy and profitable then the hell with further price cuts, GIMME MORE SELECTION!
That's still criminal. I bet these fans cost 50 cents from Yate Loon to Distro or manufacturer if this distro is selling them for $1.88.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:01 am

Zebo wrote:That's still criminal.
Are you saying that another competitor won't undercut them with much better deals because there's organized crime controlling the fan industry?
Zebo wrote:I bet these fans cost 50 cents from Yate Loon to Distro or manufacturer if this distro is selling them for $1.88.
Then find 9 or so other people to split it with and get a pack of 2000 from the source.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:02 pm

It might cost more . . . If only one place is selling it that cheap, they could 1) have stolen a large shipment or bought it from people that stole it, 2) be taking a loss on this one product to attract customers, 3) bought a whole box of defective ones and don't want to send it back, or 4) made a mistake and it should be $18.80.

Edit: after looking at their site some more, they have lots of products selling for dirt cheap so 1, 2, and 4 are knocked off :( . They could be number 3 if they got a hold of lots of 'bad' parts, parts that are thrown out because they don't meet tolerances or the manufacturer made a mistake with them. But, they should make that clear.

Maybe they are just undercutting the costs of other vendors by cutting out the middle man :? . Although, I don't get that because they could sell those Nexus/YateLoons for ~$5 and people would still be swarming their site to get them. Or, maybe they're new and just marked up the prices 25% instead of 800% :wink:

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:07 pm

From the look of it, Evertek must be a major importer. They even sell thing by pallet. I bet there's 100 of pallets of various goods moving in-out of Evertek warehouse everyday. That's why their price is so low since they're volume seller.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 pm

Zebo wrote:Same fan, they just change resistor to swap speeds. All manufactures do same. In essense someone like Yate Loon only has two 120mm models a ball bearing one and a sleeve bearing one. I actually prefer the medium speed "M" since it becomes an "S" at 9V while still being able to ramp up if really needed.
Wrong, on several counts. No manufactuer uses resistors to turn high speed fans into low speed fans, that would be wasteful electrical design.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:04 pm

Jab-tech has been very good to me. I really like this etailer. It is odd that they place the Yateloon elsewhere - its almost tough to find actually.

guava wrote: At the risk of having another seller have their stock wiped out, I just saw that the Yate Loon D12SL-12 is in stock at Jab-tech - and cheap too! I bought a couple myself. Funny how Jab-tech doesn't consider this a "quiet" fan, but they put the Nexus there. It's especially shameless when you compare the model numbers. Such is marketing, I guess.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:06 am

The actual manufacturing cost of a fan is insignificant. The export cost, shipping cost, import cost, distribution cost, marketing cost, packaging cost, etc adds to the price of each fan, especially when sold in relatively small quantities.

Do the math. If Nexus sells 10,000 fans fans per year, and their total overhead for all the above items is $100,000 (including salaries), then that is $10 overhead for each fan. Then the retailer marks up the wholesale cost about 40%.

If Dell computer is buying 1,000,000 fans per year direct from the manufacturer, and they don't have extra remarketing, packaging, etc, expenses, then the cost per fan is much less. Of course, if you buy a single fan from Dell computer parts department, the price they charge goes way up because they have some of the same expenses as a parts retailer.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:01 am

m0002a wrote:The actual manufacturing cost of a fan is insignificant. The export cost, shipping cost, import cost, distribution cost, marketing cost, packaging cost, etc adds to the price of each fan, especially when sold in relatively small quantities.
Exactly. If it wasn't that complicated, nexus would have 10 different fan types, to meet all our specific needs.

And that's only half the equation.

How much is the fan worth to you? I'm sure it's a lot more than $2. What's the competition? My only other options are: slightly cheaper coolermaster fans which probably have sample inconsistancies, more expensive and higher pitched aerocool turbines which probably also have sample inconsistencies, far more expensive evil silenx fans, and glacialtech silentblades at about the same price.

Zebo

Post by Zebo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:36 am

Rusty075 wrote:
Zebo wrote:Same fan, they just change resistor to swap speeds. All manufactures do same. In essense someone like Yate Loon only has two 120mm models a ball bearing one and a sleeve bearing one. I actually prefer the medium speed "M" since it becomes an "S" at 9V while still being able to ramp up if really needed.
Wrong, on several counts. No manufactuer uses resistors to turn high speed fans into low speed fans, that would be wasteful electrical design.
Open them up, you'll see.

peerke

Post by peerke » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:09 pm

Zebo wrote:Open them up, you'll see.
Please do, Zebo, and take pictures so we can share your findings.
I would do it myself but I don't own fans that are from the same manufacturer but rated differently speedwise.