Akasa Amber is a winner.My "12cm Fans"Experience.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:44 am

The fans are honestly probably all right at 5v, at least for a second machine or where people are looking to get close to silence with a minimal investment. I need to get a 12cm version and just try it myself.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:39 pm

got mine :)

you can tell what my reaction we be :)

seriously

this is a great fan

at 12 volts it is audible, yet smooth sounding

sorry that I'm too lazy to figure out the exact voltages, but as the voltage drops, the noise does too :) , though I did not get any wierd noises that OP reported, at 5 volts (using the fanmate) the fan is barely audible close up

as noted before there is slight bearing noise that is only audible very close to the fan and is more noticable when it is either the front or back is facing you.

and it is also very light

the only thing I can compare this to is the blue coolermaster UV silent except quieter at 12 v and pushes much more air

I'd say worth it
I got it at sidewinder for 15.80 shipped

jasonb885

Post by jasonb885 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:36 am

For what it's worth, I just picked up an inexpensive 12cm Yate Loom as someone mentioned they're what the Nexus 12cm tend to be. It makes a very audible wooshing noise at 12V, but it's pretty quite -- for me -- at 5V. I tried it with a connector with a resistor that supposedly ~ 9Vs the fan, but it was still about as loud as at 12V. It does push significantly less air at 5V, though.

Works for me, though. My 2cm slot 1 cooler's fan is now louder than my 12cm fan! For under $5, I'd buy more of these. I bought them from jab-tech as I've seen linked elsewhere in this thread or on the forum somewhere.

:)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 am

Greetings,

Almost $16 for the Akasa? That's in the Nexus price range...

The Yate Loon low speed fan is a much better value, IMO, at $5-8 each, and the GlobalWin NCB is even (a little bit) quieter than the Yate Loon, and it too is ~$8 each. The Nexus is probably the quietest fan IME, but the GlobalWin is very close, and the Yate Loons are also excellent, and very smooth.

So, if it's budget that concerns you, consider the Yate Loon and the GlobalWin NCB, and if you want to get the quietest and don't mind spending $15-16, then I get the Nexus. Granted, I have not heard the Akasa, and maybe it is on par with the Nexus? What speed does it run at 12 volts?

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 pm

yeah it was $9 for time being at overcool, shipping was only like 1.75 or something, so it would have been in the middle

Alas, capitialism struck and price went into the Nexus range

I'm still running mine at 5v, it is unnoticed becuase of the HDD whine :x

softmounting/suspension is a must!

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:06 am

The Akasa Amber fans are selling for only about $12 at Sidewinder.

serenityNOW

Post by serenityNOW » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:39 am

This topic is very informative, has some experience the Scythe S-FLEX fans or the Glacialtech silent blade (2 types -a two balls bearing and an entering bearing)
I really would like to now how those compared to the others here.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Hope this helps

Post by Firetech » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:52 am

Hi serenityNOW, I can't comment on the S-Flex but the Ninja Plus fan is much noisier than my BB Glacialtech. I can recommend the Glacialtech, especially the price! I tried to order an entering bearing version recently but 12cm Glacialtechs have sold out here in Oz :)

serenityNOW

Post by serenityNOW » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Is the Entering Bearing preferable over the 2 BB? I mean like sleeve?
If so the GT being half the price of Nexus/S-Flex and silent like, should be a great choice for the case front.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:33 pm

serenityNOW wrote:Is the Entering Bearing preferable over the 2 BB? I mean like sleeve?
If so the GT being half the price of Nexus/S-Flex and silent like, should be a great choice for the case front.
I ordered the EB so I could compare the two but as yet don't have it.
If you do a search, there is a Glacialtech Fan thread where some of the guys have said the EB version is quieter. All I know is my BB is quiet enough for my current needs. :)

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 pm

I wanna try one Akasa Amber 92mm (ball bearing), someone know what's the minimum voltage for this fan? 5V, 7V or higher? Where i live they are good priced :roll:

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:52 am

I think most anything will run at 5V, as long as it doesn't have a lot of inertia or friction to overcome like in the case of the Panaflos. Give it a shot and see how it works out. If you don't like it, then you're only out $12 or so, which is better than being out something like $60.

zepper

Post by zepper » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 am

FYI: Nexus fans never run at 12V as they are internally dropped. A 120mm Yate-Loon at 12V is what a Nexus 120mm would sound like if it could run at 12V.

.bh.