Zip Tie fan isolations

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spiffy102

Zip Tie fan isolations

Post by spiffy102 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:12 pm

I mounted my first 120mm fan today.

I think I did a great job - but I may be completely wrong.

I used rubber weatherstriping (adhesive backed) to seal between the fan and the chasis, between the four rubber (vacuum tubing) stand-offs.
To get a decent seal (because I made my stand-offs about 3/16" in depth), I tightened the zip-ties pretty tight.

It has made for a very nice seal around the fan, while not interfering with airflow.

My concern is that if the zip ties are too tight... Even though there will be zero rattling here due to the two isocation methods (rubber and weatherstiripping)... If the rubber is somewhat compressed - am I going to induce vibration in the P180's chasis b/c it is so firmly coupled?

I'd hate to un-do everything I just did b/c I'm kind of proud of the nice seal I got :)

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:09 am

It's all about decoupling. The weather stripping would probably absorb the vibration better than a tight zap strap. Has to be better than a metal screw.. that's for sure. Give it a go and see how it works out.

I like the vacuum tubing idea. Been hunting all around locally for the 'rubber golf tee' type mounts and thought a half inch of 7/32" OD tubing with an appropriate sized push pin in the center to expand the tubing might be all you need. Off to the hardware store.. :)

ddd

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 am

Not quite sure I follow you...

The weathersripping is not very compressed at all - since there is a ton of surface area compared to the rubber "washers" / zip ties.

I fear that in my efforts to seal with weathersripping... That I have caused the "coupling" of the case and fan via the tight zip ties.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:31 pm

I was only suggesting the ties would be the coupling, as if you'd used the weather stripping with metal screws.. be not nearly that bad. I just figured the vibration will take the stiffer path regardless of how many different types of materials you used.

eg. I have some really sticky double sided foam tape to try, like your weather striping idea except self attaching (four small triangles in the corner). Maybe a couple of layers thick. It would hold a fan in place I'm sure.

ddd

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:21 pm

I guess one option is I could cut two of the wire ties (opposite corners).

SInce the weatherstripping is isolating the fans from the chasis - all I nee is a little tension holding the fans to it.

Funny thing is now I'm regretting now doing the foam mount method. (Although that isn't very secure - I'd be worried about the foam "security" over time, and the fan falling into the case, possibly doing bad things)

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:03 pm

spiffy102 I think you've done a good job. Just leave all 4 zipties to work. :wink:

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:09 pm

Just tried the foam tape but there wasn't enough contact area to hold the 120mm fan in place (for very long).

Back to your vacuum tube idea :) Tube goes into the case and fan holes (7/32"?) A thin machine screw in the middle for rigidity Should expand it a bit too. Maybe a ¼" rubber washer to keep the fan casing away from the metal. Off to the shop to see whats there.

Of course a good supply of quality 'rubber golf tees' would be nice. The one's supplied with my Antec case worked pretty well.

ddd

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Redo of copy.

Just read up on the SPCR P180 review and noticed the zap strap method of attaching the fan. I was thinking of something completely different. Along with a grommet, they look like a pretty sensible solution.

ddd

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:34 pm

ultraboy wrote:spiffy102 I think you've done a good job. Just leave all 4 zipties to work. :wink:
Thank you.

Now if I can just solve this problem:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=27614

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:27 pm

I'm not a P180 owner (it's not available here :( ,..otherwise.. :D ). But I would say it shouldn't really matter much either way you place your PSU - considering that P180 provides a separate chamber so that PSU can generously get its own cool air.

Yes, cable clutter going to upper chamber may potentially block air movement. However, I would argue that if you seal off the back grille of P180 around PSU, the only way air can get out is to get through PSU. :D

Obviously, you should still do a nice cable management work to allow air to flow as free as possible. :wink:

Edit: Fix the emoticons.