Reversing a fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Infidel

Reversing a fan

Post by Infidel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:05 pm

Hello,

Right now I have a slot fan blowing out and a vga fan blowing up. I want to fix the problem of each fan pulling in opposing directions.

Can I reverse the leads to one of the fans to make them blow the opposite direction? Since both fans are inside a housing I can not simply turn the fan over.

Thank you,

Rykk

edit - spelling

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:20 pm

No, that is not how an electrical motor works. Besides the shape of the fan blades wouldn't allow it either.

Infidel

Post by Infidel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:36 am

Ok, thank you. Though I did reverse the power leads to a motor once and the motor worked in reverse. I thought the same would apply here.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:13 am

Only other options are to unscrew the slot fan and turn it around (if applicable) or lose it completely. Log the GPU temps to see if it makes a difffference.

ddd

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:57 am

Whether an electric motor will run in reverse if you 'swap' the leads depends on what kind of electric motor it is.

Some do... some don't.

Pete

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:12 am

No "computer" fans will work by swapping the wires, as they are brushless and therefore have electronic components that sense where the hub is and apply a magnetic field accordingly. The ticking that one can hear from a fan is when it changes the position of the field.

A non-brushless motor (how's that for a double negative) will work fine however.

Infidel

Post by Infidel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:30 am

Ak, thank you guys. This whole problem shouldn't even be happening. I bought a kingwin vga heatpipe thinking to replace my fan, but when I took off the old noisy fan, I found that the mounting holes were just slightly off, one 2mm too far to the right, the other 2mm to the bottom.

I called kingwin and they said that I was the very first person to call about the heatsink but that any brackets they sent would be just as out of place. I could'nt even send it back to newegg because I tossed the packaging in the trash before I left work. That morning was a trash pickup day.

So now I'm afraid to ever buy from XFX again because they didn't put their mounting holes in the right place. When I took the old heatsink off, I also noticed that the GPU was no where near the center of the heatsink. In fact, no part of the GPU even touched the center of the heatsink. :(

So I've sent XFX a request for a new fan, since "Universal" fans don't fit. And I'll probably just upgrade my card in a month or two and get one that the kingwin difinitely fits, or one that already comes with a heatpipe, like the gigabyte ones. Thank you all,