Computer Dehumidifier! is it worthwhile?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GLO

Computer Dehumidifier! is it worthwhile?

Post by GLO » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:13 pm

check it out here i dont know anyone using this yet, but wanted to know if its a step in the right direction!

Infidel

Post by Infidel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:57 am

Is your computer in the pool room, or is your house particuarly humid?

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. If you have decent airflow then this will hardly make a worthwile difference since the humid air is already in your computer and probably being replaced at a rate faster than the little piece can keep up with. Normal airflow dehumidifiers are essentially a reverse refrigreator where air is drawn through the cooling coil where it condenses while the heat is radiated outside the unit.

This uses "super absorbant" materials instead of a cooling coil which won't exactly dehumidify at a meaningful rate. Then again, it says "once the computer produces internal moisture" and the only way I see a computer producing moisture is if there is a leak in a water cooled setup, the computer has just been brought in from sitting outside during a cold humid day, or someone put a dehumidifier inside the computer.

By the way, Dehumidifiers typicaly drain the extracted water away. Heating the water and evaporating it just re-humidifies the air.

If you really have humidity problems, I'd buy a dehumidifier rated for your entire room.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 am

i dont like the idea of a heating coil inside my PC....if i wanted a heater in my PC i would have just bought a pentium 4 prescott 8)

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:02 am

Unless you are running extreme cooling and running your processor below ambient temperatures where condensation could occur there is no point in this. Computers run at temperatures above ambient, so even if the temperature dropped in your room such that condensation occured, it wouldn't happen inside your computer.

GLO

Post by GLO » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:21 pm

thanks for your replies.

It was curiousity that got me with this product!