Zalman 7700 ALCU - Nexus 120mm

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mo786

Zalman 7700 ALCU - Nexus 120mm

Post by mo786 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:27 pm

Hi

I did a home made Nexus 120mm to Zalman 7700alcu mod - the other week it came apart! luckily i noticed it.

In the meantime I took another off the back and put it OVER the HS with elastic band, just now one of the bands snapped and the fan fell off again, at the moment there is one elastic band keeping the fan in place.

Anyone have any suggestions of getting the fan onto the heatsink securley and good enough to cool - BUT keeping the frame ON the Nexus.

i.e have it over the HS - maybe i will use string or soemthing (or will it be too hot?

and whiel i am here, it makes sense to have the fan blowing down onto the HS yea? to keep it cool, and the blowing up (as originalyl intended) only will work if the fan is in the middle right?

thanks!

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 pm

i assume you have the original fan off

here
is the original version in german

should be the same even though you have the 7700, you'd lose some cooling performance due to the extra size

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:06 pm

mo786 wrote:...getting the fan onto the heatsink securley and good enough to cool - BUT keeping the frame ON the Nexus
Frankly, I think you should re-check on what went wrong with your previous mod, and re-do it properly. Putting the fan inside CNPS 7700 should be the optimum solution as it's designed for.

Anyway, if you really want to suspend the Nexus outside CNPS 7700, then you should look at Zalman FB123 or Sunbeam Wherever PCI Rack. Both attach to case's pci slots - so check out that your VGA HSF will allow enough space (I'm not quite sure with Silencers kind of VGA HS).

Of course, you can also DIY with something like elastic cord, not the normal elastic band since it's easy to get brittle with heat. Look in threads about Hdd suspension to get the idea.

Good luck.