Rubber Fan Screws

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DustinEarnhardt

Rubber Fan Screws

Post by DustinEarnhardt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:12 pm

I just ordered some Sunbeam rubber fan screws to mount my case fans.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how to actually use these things? The holes in the fans and on the case seem to be a bit too small to actually use these. Ive tried pulling them through as hard as I can, but I end up breaking them. Any advice?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

You could try some kind of lubricant, ordinary liquid soap might do the trick.

DustinEarnhardt

Post by DustinEarnhardt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I've actually been lurking here for about two years. This is the first time I couldn't find the answer to my question by searching! This forum and site are both fantastic! :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:41 pm

After breaking a number of these (Sunbeam, unknown brand that I found in Akihabara, and the EAR ones from McMaster-Carr), I just drill the holes on the fan slightly larger, and if needed I file the flange thinner (depends on the isolator used). I usually file the mounting hole on the case a little as well, to make sure it's not sharp and cut through the isolators.

If you're filing your case, make sure you do it after you remove the motherboard for obvious reasons.

GHz

Post by GHz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Either return them or throw them away. I went through 2 bags of them and 90% of them broke. I tried soap and other lubricants... it didn't help, they still ripped apart.

Buy these, they actually work:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/fanisolators1.html

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:08 pm

http://veraxfans.com/ Go to accessories - fan mounts are good, plus they work on closed flange fans, alternatively, get the box set of Nexus isolators at siliconacoustics - have several different types included, the long isolators are almost as good as the verax ones.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Never tried the Verax sticks, but the Silicon Acoustics one look exactly like the EAR isolators.

The EAR isolators break as well. I've broken my share of them. They're the ones that require me to file the flange thinner, or they wouldn't fit properly. They're also harder to install. With the "rubber fan screws" you attach them to the fan, then position the fan at the case mounting holes and pull them through. With the EAR isolators, you attach them to the case holes, then position the fan and pull the isolators through the holes on the fan.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:27 pm

The NEXUS KIT isn't the same as the isolators you're thinking of. It comes in a plastic box.

GHz

Post by GHz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Lenny: I can tell you that the EAR isolators are about 100x better than those crap Sunbeam rubber screws. I've been installing them on a few systems and I only had one partial break... they are very tough. If you have to file anything down then you've got the wrong size isolator... or something.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:32 pm

Where do you get the EAR ones? I've looked at several online retailers, to no avail.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:58 pm

I bought some EAR isolators, but found them to be more trouble than they are worth, and they leave gaps between the fan and the case that reduces to amount of hot air being extracted from my case.

So I came up with a improved method as follows:

1. Four 6/32 x 1.5" nylon machine screws and nuts.

2. Four rubber washers for the screw heads (assuming screw heads are on outside of case).

3. Lay a 1/8" bead of GE 100% Silicone II Caulk on the case where the fan will be attached and let it set up for about 30 minutes. It doesn’t matter much if you are a bit sloppy or uneven in applying the caulk. After 30 minutes, attach the fan with the screws and nuts. Do not over-tighten. This will allow the caulk to conform to the outline of the fan edge, but not let the caulk squeeze completely out.

The materials can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowe’s, or any good hardware store. Regarding the GE 100% Silicone II Caulk, it is all the same regardless of the color, labeling, or packaging.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:51 pm

Stephen wrote:Where do you get the EAR ones? I've looked at several online retailers, to no avail.
The Silicon Acoustic link above, McMaster-Carr (search the forum posts for the right part number) or occasionally eBay.

GHz : I have both EAR-344 and EAR-345. Can't remember which is for what fan, but the one for 80mm fans fit fairly well, but the one I used for 120mm fans (esp. the 38mm thick Panaflo) requires me to file the flange, or the isolator gets stretched too much.

As a variation to mr0002a's method, try zip ties. It can be seen in one of Ralf Hutter's case reviews.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:55 am

GHz wrote:Either return them or throw them away. I went through 2 bags of them and 90% of them broke. I tried soap and other lubricants... it didn't help, they still ripped apart.

Buy these, they actually work:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/fanisolators1.html
Yep! I managed to get a case fan installed yesterday using those. Good thing it was an empty case and I could move the PSU out of the way, or I might not have made it. Next time, I'll have this tool or one like it, and the job should be a lot easier.

Super Monkey Me

Post by Super Monkey Me » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:00 pm

I use a needle nosed pryer and just pull not too bad.Much better than using hand.EAR mounts worked well for me.Expensive though.

DustinEarnhardt

Post by DustinEarnhardt » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:52 am

I took Lenny's advice and ended up boring out the holes on the fans and on the case a little bit to get them to fit. I used a 1/4" bit on the case and a 7/32" bit on the fans. They all went on pretty easily after that.

I was a little hesitant to bore out the fans in the event that I ever wanted to use regular fan screws on them, but then I thought about it and realized, "when was the last time that not having a precisely sized screw stopped me from fastening two things together?" Never. If I ever need to, I can always go to the hardware store and find a nut and bolt that'll do the job.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If I had it to do over, I'd obviously order a different brand, but I already had these and they were rather cheap ($10 for 36).

veraxfans

Verax Rubber Mounts

Post by veraxfans » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:01 am

I keep the Verax Rubber Mounts in stock in the USA. You can get them using the shoping cart at www.veraxfans.com.

Verax has a couple of new products due to moving some manufacturing to China. The FAN 80x80x25mm VB802512ST-3M is the same German design, but costs $19 instead of $57.
They also are shipping Quattro I and Quattro A CPU coolers. If someone is interested in doing a proper review I can make one available.
For spec sheets please go to www.verax.de.

Cris