[A8N32-SLI] Fans and fan headers

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tumlehund

[A8N32-SLI] Fans and fan headers

Post by Tumlehund » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:43 am

Recently I put together a new system (P180, S12, A8N32, 3800+ X2, Ninja, 7800GT, X-Fi), and now I'm thinking about fan control.

Right now I'm using only one stock fan (rear exhaust) on low speed. The top fan is disabled and the fan in the lower compartment is removed (along with the drive cage in the upper chamber).

So, my question is, which fan headers to use on the board. I obviuosly use the CPU header for the Ninja fan.

Another question is if I should replace the Ninja fan? Since I'm going to replace the stock P180 fan, maybe I should replace the Ninja fan at the same time? (I'm gonna use Nexus or Papst).

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:57 am

Maybe I should add that the CPU fan, the exhaust fan and the S12, is connected to the board. I'm a bit worried what headers to use for the exhaust and s12.

hravn

Post by hravn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 am

On my A8N-SLI Premium the CPU, Chipset and CHA1 headers are controlled by Q-FAN, so I'd use one of those. Might be different on the 32.. it should state which headers that are controllable in the manual, did in mine at least.

You didn't say what fan you were currently running on your Ninja.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 am

hravn wrote:On my A8N-SLI Premium the CPU, Chipset and CHA1 headers are controlled by Q-FAN, so I'd use one of those. Might be different on the 32.. it should state which headers that are controllable in the manual, did in mine at least.
when i tested this only the CPU header seemed controlled. the 2 others were going full speed even though the CPU fan was running at 7v. which is a real shame really. And it didn't seem like it scaled at all either.. was either 7v, or 12v. Might have been the BIOS i was using then. Haven't tried after that. Would have been so very nice to have a good fan controller on the motherboard.

kamina

Post by kamina » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:21 am

The cpu and casefan1 are controlled on the a8n32. The only way I got it to lower the temps of the casefan was to raise the warning temperature pretty high. It seems to somehow calculate the speed to keep the fans at as a differance between warning temp and current temp.

hravn

Post by hravn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 pm

Locklear wrote:
hravn wrote:On my A8N-SLI Premium the CPU, Chipset and CHA1 headers are controlled by Q-FAN, so I'd use one of those. Might be different on the 32.. it should state which headers that are controllable in the manual, did in mine at least.
when i tested this only the CPU header seemed controlled. the 2 others were going full speed even though the CPU fan was running at 7v. which is a real shame really. And it didn't seem like it scaled at all either.. was either 7v, or 12v. Might have been the BIOS i was using then. Haven't tried after that. Would have been so very nice to have a good fan controller on the motherboard.
Hmm.. now that you mention it, maybe one of my Nexus fans is running a bit faster.. I'll have to check it out. CPU, chipset and CHA1 is what is says in the manual at least. Otherwise we must go bother Asus about it, and get a BIOS update that fixes this...

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 am

I'm just using the stock fan with the Ninja cooler. I haven't seen any numbers on its performance, so I don't know if I should replace it with a Papst or Nexus?

The A8N32 seems to have 2 headers that are controlable. Currently the CPU fan is obviously connected to one of these, and I have the S12 connected to the other. I'm not sure if this is the way to go?

BTW what do you use for measuring temperatures? I would also like to read temperatures from my harddrives.

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 am

Tumlehund wrote:I'm just using the stock fan with the Ninja cooler. I haven't seen any numbers on its performance, so I don't know if I should replace it with a Papst or Nexus?

The A8N32 seems to have 2 headers that are controlable. Currently the CPU fan is obviously connected to one of these, and I have the S12 connected to the other. I'm not sure if this is the way to go?

BTW what do you use for measuring temperatures? I would also like to read temperatures from my harddrives.
I guess that the S12 is just for measuring RPM? Then it shouldn't matter.

For measuring temperatures (and RPM), check out Speedfan.

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:08 am

hravn wrote:I guess that the S12 is just for measuring RPM? Then it shouldn't matter.

For measuring temperatures (and RPM), check out Speedfan.
OK, so I guess I better remove the wire from the S12 on the mobo header and connect the rear case fan instead?

I wonder what the S12 connector is for then?

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:27 am

Tumlehund wrote:I wonder what the S12 connector is for then?
I'd take a wild guess at RPM monitoring. Hook it up to a fanheader and use a program like Speedfan to display the RPMs the PSU fan is spinning at.

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:22 am

Locklear wrote:I'd take a wild guess at RPM monitoring. Hook it up to a fanheader and use a program like Speedfan to display the RPMs the PSU fan is spinning at.
I'm gonna try and make the switch, so the rear case fan is controlled by CnQ, and move the S12 connector to another fan header.