Question about Fan controllers

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Question about Fan controllers

Post by JVM » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 am

Since I am building a new system and intend to have 3 fans (Rear case, intake, and cpu heatsink/fan, aside from the graphics card fan, is there a 5.25 fan controller that would have a visual display of rpm's for up to 4 fans and allow rpm as low as 800 or less? Is there another suggestion you have that you feel is better than the 5.25" device?

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:30 pm

I found a Super Flower FanMaster that has 4 controlers and 4 thermistors. Downside is the 7-12v range and the top quarter of the knob rotation is useless. The rpm range depends on the fan. The CM low speed 120mm bottoms out at ~700 rpm. TriCool on high.. not that slow.

The Sunbeam rheostat is a good alternative (0-12v) but doesn't have the thermistors.

ddd

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:55 pm

dddibley wrote:I found a Super Flower FanMaster that has 4 controlers and 4 thermistors. Downside is the 7-12v range and the top quarter of the knob rotation is useless. The rpm range depends on the fan. The CM low speed 120mm bottoms out at ~700 rpm. TriCool on high.. not that slow.

The Sunbeam rheostat is a good alternative (0-12v) but doesn't have the thermistors.

ddd
I'm looking for units that display the rpm of each fan. Sorry, I just did a quick search and found a review of the Super Flower FanMaster and it does have a display. I will read the review.

Any others?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: Question about Fan controllers

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 pm

JVM wrote:Is there another suggestion you have that you feel is better than the 5.25" device?
High gadget level. I still haven't found an excuse to buy one, but I want to.
mCubed T-Balancer

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Question about Fan controllers

Post by JVM » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 am

Tibors wrote:
JVM wrote:Is there another suggestion you have that you feel is better than the 5.25" device?
High gadget level. I still haven't found an excuse to buy one, but I want to.
mCubed T-Balancer
I read previously that MBM doesn't support the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MB.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:48 am

It is nice if it can cooperate with MBM, but not necessary. An analog sensor to the side of your heatsink base is acurate enough for fan control.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I've come to the conclusion all you need is a 5v/12v switch.. just connect fans that are capable of 5v startup. With mine, I generally have it full on for gaming and all minimum for quiet computing. Put the money you save into some quality fans. You could tweak your rpms with in-line resistors too.

Get 12v, 7v or 5v for your fans

ddd