tried to undervolt a nexus 120

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bendit

tried to undervolt a nexus 120

Post by bendit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Here's how I hooked it up. I plugged the three prong connector from the Nexus into a Fanmate 1 and ran the wire from the fanmate and plugged it into MB case fan 2 plug. When I turned the pot on the fanmate it didn't slow down the nexus. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

regards

bovik

Re: triied to undervolt a nexus 120

Post by bovik » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Bendit wrote:Here's how I hooked it up. I plugged the three prong connector from the Nexus into a Fanmate 1 and ran the wire from the fanmate and plugged it into MB case fan 2 plug. When I turned the pot on the fanmate it didn't slow down the nexus. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
http://allaboutadhd.com
Maybe stupid question but you haven't attached the 4-pin molex connector from the nexus, have you? Another person at the forum did this, that's why I'm asking.
Last edited by bovik on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bendit

Post by bendit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:34 pm

no didn't connect it...but I will double check...

regards

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:09 pm

An even dumber question: there's a small knob on the Zalman. Did you turn down the "volume" (fan voltage)? You didn't mention that! :)

bendit

Post by bendit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:12 pm

turned it down up and sideways...i wonder if there is a mb setting in bios...I was using the FM to undervolt one of those LED cooler masters and it worked fine...different motherboard, however.

regards

bendit

Post by bendit » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:21 am

I just wasn't looking closely enough or didn't have enough light. I tried again and it did slow down. I guess I was expecting more. Still can't get Speedfan to monitor this fan. Its an Abit kv-85 MB. Thanks for your help.

regards

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:59 pm

Bendit wrote:I just wasn't looking closely enough or didn't have enough light. I tried again and it did slow down. I guess I was expecting more. Still can't get Speedfan to monitor this fan. Its an Abit kv-85 MB. Thanks for your help.

regards
Try Everest Home Editiont. I find it to be much better than Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor, personally.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Newer (last 2-3 years?) Abit motherboards typically have built-in fan voltage controllers (that work by varying DC voltage, not by pulse-width modulation, PWM) for some or all fan headers. If that function is enabled in the BIOS, then the DC voltage will be low (minimum user-defined values are 6 or 8V; mine are 8V minimum) unless the temperature rises to induce a higher voltage. For example, I've got the CPU fan header set to stay at 8V until the CPU temperature reaches 40C (user-defined value), then the CPU fan voltage will increase linearily to 12V at 50C (again, user-defined). This function is called FanEQ.

Did that part make sense?

Now when you add a Zalman Fanmate to that header, two things happen:
1. Voltage at the output fan connector drops (to ~6V on the low end, 11V on the top for my MB).
2. The effect of the Fanmate varies with the MB input voltage; i.e., at low CPU temps, min to max Fanmate only changes my CPU fan speed from 660 to 780 rpm. At high CPU temps, it will vary from 660 to 1450 rpm.

Whew, I think I made that sound really complicated.

So I think you must have FanEQ enabled for the header you're using, and the conditions when you're changing the Fanmate are too mild. Try the same thing when the PC is under sustained high load, or disable FanEQ in the BIOS. I like having both FanEQ and the Fanmate working together.
Bendit wrote:Still can't get Speedfan to monitor this fan.
Edit: I don't think Speedfan or many other monitoring apps can read the "uGuru" sensors on Abit motherboards. Everest can read some of them (three temps, but only the two FanEQ'd headers), but Motherboard Monitor can read all five headers for fan speed, all voltages, and CPU usage from both hyperthreads on my AI7.