What brand rubber fan mounts?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stukovx

What brand rubber fan mounts?

Post by stukovx » Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am

I am seeing these mounts sold everywhere nowadays and heard that most of them dont work. Just wanted to know which one was proven to work and if I could get a link to a US store that carried them.

thanks

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Mon May 08, 2006 8:33 am

I think their effectiveness would also depend on other factors like your case and fan. If you have a well-balanced fan and a solid case, I don't think they would have much effect.

As an experiment, you could try some double-sided foam tape to hold the fan in place without screws and see if it makes a difference.

I'm not a fan of them because they seem overpriced and are hard to reuse.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon May 08, 2006 10:00 am

I've been pleased with the silicon fan "screws" supplied by Antec with the Sonata case. I've reused them several times with no apparent problems.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Mon May 08, 2006 11:05 am

I've used the same Sonata part but two of mine ripped during a recent deinstallation.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon May 08, 2006 11:49 am

The Antec ones have held up for me (as long as I don’t trim them). I have some acusti products ones that I have moved the set several times. (testing many fans in the same case) I have not had any tears or damage.
I have found like many others that foam rubber cut into little pieces works well. But not fun to cut. I could get enough foam rubber to make 1000’s of fan mounts for the same price as 8 premade ones.
The things that do not work well are the fan gaskets. I use them on PSU’s and get good results (metal to metal vs. Metal-rubber-metal) but with plastic case fans the isolating mounts work great.

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Mon May 08, 2006 3:19 pm

this is for use in a p150 btw.

I know foam works well, but I read somewhere that there was a certain brand that worked really well because they were soft and didnt break.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon May 08, 2006 5:43 pm

stukovx wrote:this is for use in a p150 btw.

I know foam works well, but I read somewhere that there was a certain brand that worked really well because they were soft and didnt break.
There is at least one large screw hole for rear case fan in the P150 that makes using some rubber soft-mounts a problem: the rubber soft-mount gets completely pulled through because the hole is too large. I tried various rubber soft-mounts including the ones from Verax and AcoustiProducts and they went right through the hole.

The fan isolators will work, but they are a real pain to install:

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/fanisolators1.html

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Mon May 08, 2006 6:20 pm

I like the ones that fans in Dell are mounted with. The fan Dell uses is sufficiently low vibration to not require them, so I remove and reuse them from any Dell I fix.