Anyone try lower voltage by serial the fan? Says 6v each?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tempoct

Anyone try lower voltage by serial the fan? Says 6v each?

Post by tempoct » Thu May 18, 2006 9:12 am

Hi,
My case has single 60mm exhaust fan but I want to install the 2nd 60mm fan. I cut the case next to the original fan mount for it.

I wanna run them in slow speed but I don't wanna use two speed control. I could run them in pallarel and use single speed control (using Y connector) but I have another idea to "serial" both fan and plug it in to the 12v rail, so both will have 6v each.

Anyone try this? Also, which fan starts reliably @ 5v - 6v? I saw the EverCool 5v fan but didn't see anyone use it much here.

Any comment is appreciated.
:)

nici

Post by nici » Thu May 18, 2006 9:30 am

I hope im not making an ass out of myself here since i am quite tired, but to connect them in series just connect one negative to positive and ill do a paint drawing.... :lol: Ain´t it beautiful? :roll: The only way to now if your fans start at 6V is to try, really..

tempoct

Post by tempoct » Thu May 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Yep. I know how to series them but I wonder if someone has tried this.
If the fan is (almost) identical, it should give around 6v each. It hardly hurts the fans since they are running with lower voltage but the starting voltage is something to be considered.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu May 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm using that exact same setup in my server case. Two old fans that are nothing special. Instead of wasting a fan-mate, I just plugged them in series. Run great and at a nice low speed. They are the same model I think. As long as they draw close to the same amount of power, the voltage should be split pretty even. I personally have never had any fans not start at 5V. So 6V shouldn't be a problem.

TomZ

Re: Anyone try lower voltage by serial the fan? Says 6v each

Post by TomZ » Thu May 18, 2006 1:30 pm

tempoct wrote:I wanna run them in slow speed but I don't wanna use two speed control. I could run them in pallarel and use single speed control (using Y connector) but I have another idea to "serial" both fan and plug it in to the 12v rail, so both will have 6v each.
Yes, running them in series should work just fine! If both fans are the same type, they should each see "about" 6V across each, as you expect.

tempoct

Re: Anyone try lower voltage by serial the fan? Says 6v each

Post by tempoct » Thu May 18, 2006 4:28 pm

pardon my english :oops:
TomZ wrote:
tempoct wrote:I wanna run them in slow speed but I don't wanna use two speed control. I could run them in pallarel and use single speed control (using Y connector) but I have another idea to "serial" both fan and plug it in to the 12v rail, so both will have 6v each.
Yes, running them in series should work just fine! If both fans are the same type, they should each see "about" 6V across each, as you expect.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Thu May 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Only quirks I've noticed is having the fans start up properly and play nice together at that speed/voltage (harmonics). It varies from fan to fan, but with a controller you can tune them in a little better (the silencers 'sweet spot').

Otherwise it works fine.

ddd