What would be higher CFM then the Yate Loon 120 + quiet

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markrb

What would be higher CFM then the Yate Loon 120 + quiet

Post by markrb » Mon May 29, 2006 5:31 pm

I would like to put a new fan in my Scythe Mine and I would like to compare it against my 120 Yate Loon fan to see if the potential bump in noise is worth the bump down in temp.

If I wanted higher CFM then the Yate Loon, but still as quiet as possible what would be some choices.

I have been looking at the Scythe branded both E and F models. The E isn't really much of a push more though.
The Nexus push less air.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

GHz

Post by GHz » Mon May 29, 2006 9:07 pm

There's always the D12SM-12, which is rated for higher RPM operation (~1600RPM I think).

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon May 29, 2006 9:20 pm

I'm surprised you have a need for a faster 120mm fan on your Scythe Mine. Are you overclocking a high-end Prescott or something? If you have a 90nm AMD single-core CPU, just how low are you trying to push the CPU temperature? :wink:

I'd suggest the GW NCB fan, $6 at SVC.com. It's 1300RPM nominal rather than 1600, so it's halfway between the Nexus and the 1600 YL at the full 12V. If you use a fan controller such as the Zalman or Spire (not PWM, in other words) I think you'd be happy with the way the GW gets quieter and quieter as you turn the voltage down. :)

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 pm

The Yate Loon low speed is 1350rpm, already halfway between Nexus and mid speed.

The mid speed sounds like a good choice. Funny that the difference between low and mid speed is so little. :D

And "the Nexus pushes less air", I find this statement funny. The Nexus is a speed-reduced (1000rpm) Yate Loon. :lol:

markrb

Post by markrb » Tue May 30, 2006 4:01 pm

It's really more about trying other fans.
Of the "quiet" fans I have only ever tried the Yate Loon.
I want to see if I can hear a difference between the higher CFM
fans and the Yate.

Right now I swaped an Adda 72cfm fan out for kicks and man does it
have motor humm. This fan will not do at all.

I haven't even tested the Yate in the Scythe yet. I know about what it
will sound like.

I have an X2 3800 and it's a little overclocked, but not anything huge.
With the stock fan of the Mine I could feel the heat radiate off it.
Probably didn't help that I had the fan blowing the wrong way for my case.
Right at my video card.

wwenze what fan do you mean by mid speed?
Also that Nexus statement was to keep the Nexus Fanboys(pun intended) away since I know it won't be any better CFM wise.

Thanks,
Mark

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue May 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Here's my favorite medium speed fan.....Globe sleeve bearing 120mm, S1202512L-3M. Hard to get now, but worth the trouble. It has a temp sensor, but the thermal control doesn't work very well. Short the sensor and you have a quiet fan that will spin at 4.5V, maybe lower. And it will start every time at 5V, and turn 1800 rpm @12V.

At the same rpm as a YL, I'll bet few could tell them apart. Very nice fan.