Probably a dumb question.. (about screws)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

empty

Probably a dumb question.. (about screws)

Post by empty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:44 pm

it's my first build so..

i recently bought two nexus 92mm fans to use for the front of a p150 case (that i couldn't sell). currently i've been having problems trying to find a way to get them attached. no screws came with the nexus fans, and antec didn't include any extras with the case that will work. i was just at the hardware store with my fan, and a screw that will work to try and find something, but either the threading isn't substantial enough to secure it, or it's just a little to small or big. i'm probably a complete idiot, but any help is appreciated.

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:51 pm

An excellent chance to decouple them a bit with some alternative mounting method. I, for one, have fan screws to beat the band. But you can make up some nice semi-softmounts with zipties and rubber o-rings (from that very same hardware store). Just get a ziptie large enough to just pass through the fan holes, some O-rings and washers around the same size as the fan screwholes...

Here's how I did mine. Ziptie through washer through O-ring, through fan, on the outside, another o-ring, another washer, then cinch on the head from another zip-tie. Snip off the excess from both.

If you're just set on hard mounting them, you could probably find a computer shop that has some of the little buggers to sell you.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:53 pm

You could also use the soft harddrive grommets that come with the case. What I did was cut mine in half, then I used the zip-tie method.

empty

Post by empty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 pm

thanks for the replies and good suggestions :).. i went back and picked up some washers and more zip ties (i had a bunch already but they were to big). it actually turned out alright, pics of the results (forgive the first blurry one):

ImageImage

reefshark888

Post by reefshark888 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:54 am

Thanks for posting your experiences and pictures. I'm going to do exactly what you've done. This has also answered some questions I had.

Cheers,
Reef

empty

Post by empty » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:59 pm

that's cool :). i probably went overkill with putting three washers between the fan and the case (rubber/steel/rubber), seeing how zenboy mentioned he only used washers on either end of the zip tie. the only downside to this i have found is that on my p150 case, there is a removable filter that can cover the two front 92mm fans. but the zip tie ends get in the way when you try to attach it. it's not a very big deal to me since i didn't plan on using the filter anyways.