Asus Q-Fan [Question]

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Chocolinx

Asus Q-Fan [Question]

Post by Chocolinx » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 pm

When I select Asus Q-Fan to Silent Mode, does anyone know what voltage it's going at? Because from eyeing my 120mm fan in the back it looks like it's spinning faster than when I volt mod it to 5V using a Zalman volt mod cable.

omgy

Post by omgy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Q-fan reduces my Nexus from 1000rpm to 660rpm. Approximately 7-8 volts.

Freppa

Post by Freppa » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:14 am

omgy wrote:Q-fan reduces my Nexus from 1000rpm to 660rpm. Approximately 7-8 volts.
Is that with the "Silent mode" setting?

When i use Q-fan with my CPU-fan (stock fan@ Core 2 Duo E6300) and silent mode, I get about 600-800 rpm (don't remember exactly now) and an error message (warning?) when I boot. Something like "CPU fan error".

Is it just P5B that thinks that the rpm value are too low, and thus displays the warning, or what is the matter?

Freppa

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:19 am

does anyone know if the Q-Fan works for the CPU if you only plug in a 3 pin fan to the 4pin pwm connector?

i want to put a scythe infinity on my board (to replace the stock cooler) but the 12cm fan is only a 3 pin model (not a 4pin pwm one)

or does anyone know of any good 12cm pwm fans out there?

i know scythe's katana 775 has a 92mm pwm fan, but no idea what model it is, also i think adda do some, but no idea on model numbers / where to get hold of them

vg30et

Post by vg30et » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 am

gb115b wrote:does anyone know if the Q-Fan works for the CPU if you only plug in a 3 pin fan to the 4pin pwm connector?

i want to put a scythe infinity on my board (to replace the stock cooler) but the 12cm fan is only a 3 pin model (not a 4pin pwm one)
I'm using a 3 pin scythe fan (came off a katana) on my Asus M2NPV-VM mobo which is being controlled by Q-Fan. Q-fan is able to vary the speed from <1k to 1.5k when under load. It is plugged into the 4 pin pwm connector labeled CPU.

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 am

thanks!

omgy

Post by omgy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:18 am

Freppa wrote:
omgy wrote:Q-fan reduces my Nexus from 1000rpm to 660rpm. Approximately 7-8 volts.

When i use Q-fan with my CPU-fan (stock fan@ Core 2 Duo E6300) and silent mode, I get about 600-800 rpm (don't remember exactly now) and an error message (warning?) when I boot. Something like "CPU fan error".

Is it just P5B that thinks that the rpm value are too low, and thus displays the warning, or what is the matter?

Freppa
Yes, there are settings in the bios for 'boot warning on fan speed'. On my Asus A8N-SLI Premium, you can set warnings for two fans. I turned off the warnings because it doesn't allow you to set a slow enough fan speed with quiet fans.

Webmonkey

Re: Asus Q-Fan [Question]

Post by Webmonkey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:34 am

Chocolinx wrote:When I select Asus Q-Fan to Silent Mode, does anyone know what voltage it's going at? Because from eyeing my 120mm fan in the back it looks like it's spinning faster than when I volt mod it to 5V using a Zalman volt mod cable.
Where do you set it to "silent mode"? I have Q-fan on my A8N32 and can find no silent mode...

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 am

Webmonkey wrote:
Chocolinx wrote:When I select Asus Q-Fan to Silent Mode, does anyone know what voltage it's going at? Because from eyeing my 120mm fan in the back it looks like it's spinning faster than when I volt mod it to 5V using a Zalman volt mod cable.
Where do you set it to "silent mode"? I have Q-fan on my A8N32 and can find no silent mode...
In your Asus AI Suite there should be an option to set Q-Fan settings. If you can't find it there, the best place to do it is in BIOS. Go to your bios and hit enter on Hardware Moniter. After that there's an option for Q-Fan enabled or disable. after picking Enable, 3 more options pop up. Pick Silent Mode.

If you're getting the CPU fan Error go update your BIOS. P5B has had several BIOS updates in the past 2 months, greatly improving performance on our P5Bs. Most important updates were Memory Compatibility (Several people had 677 ram running at 533 because of the BIOS, me being one), proper fan readings (fixes the low fan speed error if you're getting it) and I think those are the 2 main ones. Anyway go here,

http://support.asus.com/ and search your board for a BIOS update.

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Chocolinx wrote:
Webmonkey wrote:
In your Asus AI Suite there should be an option to set Q-Fan settings. If you can't find it there, the best place to do it is in BIOS. Go to your bios and hit enter on Hardware Moniter. After that there's an option for Q-Fan enabled or disable. after picking Enable, 3 more options pop up. Pick Silent Mode.

If you're getting the CPU fan Error go update your BIOS. P5B has had several BIOS updates in the past 2 months, greatly improving performance on our P5Bs. Most important updates were Memory Compatibility (Several people had 677 ram running at 533 because of the BIOS, me being one), proper fan readings (fixes the low fan speed error if you're getting it) and I think those are the 2 main ones. Anyway go here,

http://support.asus.com/ and search your board for a BIOS update.
In my BIOS there is no option for silent mode - only enabled or disabled.... :x

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Webmonkey wrote:
Chocolinx wrote:
Webmonkey wrote: In my BIOS there is no option for silent mode - only enabled or disabled.... :x
Well if that doesn't work then the best thing you can do is go to your AiBooster or AiSuite and just change to silent mode. There should be that option. Might not be called Silent Mode, could be "Low Performance" all that does is lower your fan speeds, which would be the same as setting silent Mode.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:41 pm

As far as I know all the Asus with Q-Fan have both enabled/disabled and a selection of mode.

The Asus Q-Fan function uses PWM to control the fans and you do not need a four wire set up to control a fan with PWM, its just you won't get tach feedback on it.

Personally, I would disable Q-Fan functions and install/configure SpeedFan. It does the job much better plus gives you vital information about your system which you can log. You can even have it email you for various events, whether you are working on the machine or on the other side of the world.

When I had Q-Fan enabled, it worked OK on Optimal but ran up the fan speeds and the temperatures increased when I used either Silent or Performance. When I installed SpeedFan, the noise remained about the same but most of my temps dropped about 4C.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I am a SpeedFan fanboy but what can else can I do or say?

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:33 am

i would do, but speedfan doesn't seem to support core2duo temps (yet?)

vg30et

Post by vg30et » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am

RAFH wrote:As far as I know all the Asus with Q-Fan have both enabled/disabled and a selection of mode.
Asus M2NPV-VM is an exception to that rule. It has an option to enable/disable Q-fan in the bios but no other options beyond that. Latest bios does not enable any other features. I have tried Asus PC Probe II and a myriad of other tools but none are able to affect the q-fan ramp up/down options.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:50 pm

RAFH wrote:As far as I know all the Asus with Q-Fan have both enabled/disabled and a selection of mode.

The Asus Q-Fan function uses PWM to control the fans and you do not need a four wire set up to control a fan with PWM, its just you won't get tach feedback on it.

Personally, I would disable Q-Fan functions and install/configure SpeedFan. It does the job much better plus gives you vital information about your system which you can log. You can even have it email you for various events, whether you are working on the machine or on the other side of the world.

When I had Q-Fan enabled, it worked OK on Optimal but ran up the fan speeds and the temperatures increased when I used either Silent or Performance. When I installed SpeedFan, the noise remained about the same but most of my temps dropped about 4C.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I am a SpeedFan fanboy but what can else can I do or say?
Well the problem right now with a lot of people is that SpeedFan doesn't support a lot of newer boards...Like all the P5B boards. Even with the new 4.30 SpeedFan (Yup it's out), I can't even read my voltages or temps anymore. Not CPU or MB. So Q-Fan is the only solution for some people right now.

And what I don't get is how can SpeedFan drop your temps by 4C and no change in noise? :shock: Doesn't make sense to me. Because Nexus fans at 7V are audiable to me and that's what Q-Fan is doing lol. But then I'm on of those obessive silent fans, and the slightest noise gets to my ears >.<
i would do, but speedfan doesn't seem to support core2duo temps (yet?)
Right now it's not C2D's fault, it's just the sensors on the motherboard can't be read by SpeedFan yet. And the new 4.30 seems to make the situation worst, because my system temp disappeared and so did all my voltage readings lol. So I just use the Asus AISuite for now till SpeedFan fixes it.

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:15 pm

yep, i'll be back on the speedfan when the c2d support is done. also when they support my RAID card!