2 Fans Off One Fanmate without the Multiconnector

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

outoftune

2 Fans Off One Fanmate without the Multiconnector

Post by outoftune » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Is this possible? I dont want to have to order the connector if I dont have to...

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:25 pm

Yes, there are Y-cables that is bether (less cable-mess) or you could remove the contacts and do some ghetto-modded solution.

But I would recommend a Y-cable

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:08 pm

I did something similar but I'm running two 3-pin fans off one motherboard header since speedfan only worked on 1 of the 2 headers available.

You'll need something tiny like a safety pin to depress a piece of raised metal from within the connector. Then, simply take out the wires neccessary and insert them into the other fan's 3-pin connector according to the layout/colour. Match up the colours and you should be safe.

I don't know if the fanmates run power off the motherboard headers, but if they do, I would recommend checking your manuel to make sure the two fans won't draw more power than what is allowable.

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:31 pm

The fanmate definitely draws power from the mainboard, for sure.
(edit: that is, if you plug it onto the mainboard, you can plug it into a molex -> 3-pin adaptor if you want :roll: )

But take note, if you run the two fans in parallel the effect of the fanmate on dropping the voltage fed to the fans will be greater. PWM controllers are not affected.