Fan controller for 5 or 6 fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sunnyUK

Fan controller for 5 or 6 fans?

Post by sunnyUK » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:51 am

I need to fan controller that can monitor and control 4 or 5 case fans plus a the CPU fan.

I've browsed quite a bit but haven't been able to find anything able to do more than 4 fans.

It's for a file server that will be behind closed doors, so the fan controller must be the fancy kind that gives the fans more juice so they can spin up if it gets to warm. Fancy readouts are less important, but I would like to be able to see (either physically on a display or via software) the temperature of each of the 5/6 thermal "thingies".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tomas

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Zalman MFC-1 does 4 fans via adjustable knobs, 2 fans via 5V/12V/off switch.

sunnyUK

Post by sunnyUK » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:42 pm

n00btard wrote:Zalman MFC-1 does 4 fans via adjustable knobs, 2 fans via 5V/12V/off switch.
I had been looking at the MFC-1, but it doesn't seem to give an indication of temperatures.

Ideally I'd like the controller to show me how warm it is at several spots in the case AND spin the fans up/down as necessary

kater

Post by kater » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:28 am

hmmm, hard to find sth that will handle so many fans AND report the temps

maybe look at that thingie

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Accessories/Other.htm

you'll need 2 of them, but first you'll need 2 3,5 bays - but in a server case that should not be a problem

those things are only automatic afaik

akasa makes lots of controllers but none of them, to my nollij, handles more than 4 fans

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Fan controller for 5 or 6 fans?

Post by ultraboy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:48 am

sunnyUK wrote:...It's for a file server that will be behind closed doors, so the fan controller must be the fancy kind that gives the fans more juice so they can spin up if it gets to warm. Fancy readouts are less important, but I would like to be able to see (either physically on a display or via software) the temperature of each of the 5/6 thermal "thingies"....
T-Balancer or the BigNG seems to fit your need. Though either one of them has only 4 fan connectors, you can easily combine 2 fans to one connector e.g. combining the exhaust fans. Or if you prefer 1 fan/connector, then buy one of the main unit plus a FanAmp or a MiniNG. You can build fan curve for each channel the way that suits your need. And it gives you more than enough thermal "thingies".:D

Possible downside is it's a bit pricey, but it's worth it. 8)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:49 am

The mCubed T-balancer BigNG has only four fan channels, but it can measure temp at a max of 10 spots. You can always combine two fans in parallel on one channel. It has enough power for that.

Their site is down at the moment, so I can't linkt to them.

Aboleth

DigitalDoc5+ thermal sensor (8 fans+8 temperature settings)

Post by Aboleth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:01 am

Maybe you should take a look at DigitalDoc5+

I use DigitalDoc5+ in 3 of my systems. It is capable of monitoring up to eight temperature settings and control up to eight fans.

http://www.directron.com/digitaldoc5.html#caption

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:10 pm

maybe an Aqua-Computer Aquaero may be the answer...

can handle 6 temp sensors, don't know how many fans, has an LCD or VFD, and does a bunch of other things for about $130

sunnyUK

Post by sunnyUK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:50 pm

Thank you SO much for the replies. That's great suggestions.

from reading the websites about the recommended solutions, I think the T-balancer BigNG is the one that best fits the bill, particularly since it can measure so many different spots. I think that would give me the safety that I'm looking for.

The DigitalDoc5+ seems to "only" be able to switch fans on or off - I like the BigNG being able to adjust the speed in steps. Although, it has to be set it has a very competitive price!

Love the look at the Aquaero, but seems that it's expensive because it's meant for controlling water cooling. That would actually be fun to try out as well at some point. So maybe buy it now so that I have the controller for water cooling at a later stage.

Choices, choices... argh, cannot make up mind! *lol*

n604

Post by n604 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:25 pm

do fans take a lot of power from the power supply?

I see these fan controlles support 4-6 fans.

i got a 300Watt power supply on a comp, i use 3 hard drives, how many fans can I hook up to it safely? what happens if i hook up 6 of them?

just wondering.

thanks.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:40 pm

I believe fans take about 0.1Ampere, so even at 12V full speed that's only about 1W per fan.