speed control from mobo utilities

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

71monaro

speed control from mobo utilities

Post by 71monaro » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:55 pm

Can anyone verify what software and/or bias settings for mobo control the fan speed in what way? ie Speedfan vrs mobo supplied types.
As I understand some software varies speed by cpu usage (load conditions) and some varies speed by temperature readings. Which is more effective?
Also some mobo's can control cpu fan speed by voltage, some by pwm and some either. My Asus p5b vanilla has Qfan2 but instuction book gives no info what so ever on this except stating it is load dependant. I want to know if voltage can be varied instead of pwm as I want to control a 3 pin cpu fan from mobo. (HTPC not assembled yet)

sciberpunkt

Post by sciberpunkt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:09 am

I'd have to say a temp sensor would be better feedback than using CPU load. Not sure about your mobo, but my ABIT uses temperature and a high and low user-defineable voltage setting for each 3-pin fan header and each is set within the BIOS, so there's no software involved unless you're just monitoring fan speeds and temps.

For example, I've set my CPU fan to 8V @ 35C for the low temp threshold and 12V @ 50C for the high temp threshold. At 35 degrees C or below, the fan receives 8 volts. As the CPU temps creep up to 50C (which they never do), the voltage to the fan is steadily increased to 12 volts. The ABIT uses standard voltage regulation rather than PWM.