Orange vs Black? Yate Loon DS12SL

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crypt0r

Orange vs Black? Yate Loon DS12SL

Post by crypt0r » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:48 am

In one of the SPCR threads, I read that the orange is quieter than the black. Is this really true? Is it a difference in production quality or specification?

Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 am

Hello,

The orange Nexus model and the white & black one, which run at 1000RPM (made by Yate Loon) are quieter than the so-called low speed Yate Loon models of any color, which run at ~1350RPM. The Yate Loon low speeds do come in orange, but black is more common, and there is a clear version with blue LED's, I think.

The clear one is the only one that can be noisier, because of the color -- or lack thereof. All the solid color fans are going to vary for other reasons.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:12 am

Any bright Orange fan can be considered "Loud" :P

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loud
5. garish, conspicuous, or ostentatious, as colors, dress, or the wearer of garish dress: loud ties; a loud dresser.

I got the B&W Nexus fans because the Orange ones look vile, and the B&W are more practical because you can actually see the blades clearly.

Andy

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:56 am

Interestingly, (no really,) a friend of mine who designs high end high-end speakers for a living designed some audio equipment isolation supports.
After a great deal of research he ended up with a shape very similar to a Rolo chocolate, ie:

He had several batches made up in different colours to see which were most acceptable visually. Upon further testing he found the different colour pigments affected the vibration/resonance absorbing properties of the supports. :shock:

Granted the results differed by very small amounts but they were there non the less.

Whether this would have any efect on hard plastics I have absolutely no idea... but thought it interesting...

Just me then... er... I'll get back to my cupboard.....

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:25 pm

It doesn't surprise me to learn that different coloured plastics can sound different, but I don't think this is the case for Nexus fans. After testing ~3 of each colour for our 120mm fan round-up, I could hear no differences that I could attribute to colour alone. There was plenty of variance, but the variance didn't have anything to do with colour.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:47 pm

Surely the colouring/pigment that is used actually depends on the material its being applied to, i.e. different kinds of plastic would need diff colouring to bond correcly with th plastic and give the correct colour.

Likewise if your trying to colour food, rubber, metal, etc etc you are going to have diff kinds of colourants otherwise they just wont bond.

I have no idea if I am right but common sense tells me I am :roll: and what does that say.

Andy

crypt0r

Post by crypt0r » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:27 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

The orange Nexus model and the white & black one, which run at 1000RPM (made by Yate Loon) are quieter than the so-called low speed Yate Loon models of any color, which run at ~1350RPM. The Yate Loon low speeds do come in orange, but black is more common, and there is a clear version with blue LED's, I think.

The clear one is the only one that can be noisier, because of the color -- or lack thereof. All the solid color fans are going to vary for other reasons.
So, the Yate Loon 1350RPM are supposed to sound the same regardless of color, unless it's clear. I guess subjective, minute measurements, sample variance, and small sample sizes makes a good recipe for the creation of such a rumor.

I have heard that the Nexus orange spins more slowly than the black/white, too... :shock:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:42 am

Thats a myth, the Orange and Black Nexii spin at the same speed, anything else is just down to sample variance.

Andy

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:24 am

Well, since we know for a fact that black computers are faster, we can infer that any Nexus fans that have black on them are faster and louder than the orange ones. :wink: :D

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 am

Speaking from the point of view of a coating chemist who deals with pigments on a regular basis, in both acrylic and urethane chemistries, I can assure you that on a solid basis (most pigments are dispersed in a solvent that is removed later, whether it be waterborne or organic solventborne) the level of pigments is on the order of a couple percent (or less) of the entire compound mixture. While no doubt the plastics used in fans, are different from the compounds I deal with daily, the coloring of them is probably not much different.

Regardless, the total density of the plastics (or coatings in my case) is not affected much by the addition of pigments--with the exception of TiO2 (known to many as Titianium white or Titanium Dioxide in sunblock) which needs higher levels to increase opacity or brighter white. And even if the total density changes by a percent or two (unlikely), how much effect will that have on the noise being generated by a spinning mass? None, whatsoever, as long as the density of the plastic is homogeneous throughout, the fan would be balanced and not generate any vibration wobble. It would not affect air turbulence at all unless the surface texture of the fan blades was significantly different.

End rant.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Shadowknight wrote:Well, since we know for a fact that black computers are faster, we can infer that any Nexus fans that have black on them are faster and louder than the orange ones. :wink: :D
Beat me to it lol. :lol:

Eddie Spaghetti

Post by Eddie Spaghetti » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:09 am

Orange looks nicer.