any data on whether straight blades vs scooped blades

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GLO

any data on whether straight blades vs scooped blades

Post by GLO » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:25 pm

Im curious to hear if the pro's and con's for straight blades versus scooped blade and in particular which provide more pressure?

I am looking at the Aerocool 120mm Streamliner or Turbine Fans. (has more blades) and i plan to suck the air through a 10cm length of 80mm ducting.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Hiya, a couple of quetions before I answer my question.

Why the ducting, why is the ducting so narrow, why would you consider those fans.

I am guessing that you have been sucked in by the marketroids, your not the first either :oops: I have as well.

Never seen tthe "streamliner", sounds very impressive though, and the turbine.............. well it sounds like a turbine, forget the presure, you wont want that in your QUIET system.

Other people are beter at suggesting high presure fans than me, but please answer my questions first as they will be important to give you the right answer.

Andy

GLO

Post by GLO » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi Andyb,

Thanks for responding in part.

To answer your question.

I have a Silverstone LC03vfd case and i plan to dremel an 80mm hole in the
base of the horizontal HTPC case. Unfortunately 80mm is all that will fit as the mb tray gets in the way

You can see what i mean from here.
Except i will have to adapt and use the ducting from the 80mm hole to an 80->120mm adaptor then fit the 120mm fan. This would be mounted on a Sunbeam PCI Anywhere kit. I would mount the 120mm fan on the end of the arms so that they would blow towards the rear of the case.

An 80mm fan would be mounted on the stock 80mm vent below the 5.25" bays.

I realise this is unorthodox but i think its better than using 2x 80mm fans instead of a single 120mm.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:11 am

Aerocool Turbine was reviewed here, came out pretty good, for good pressure capability it doesn't matter so much if blades are straight or scooped but there must be little space between the blades (ie opposite of Noctua 120mm).