Cutting wires off fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

revloc8

Cutting wires off fans

Post by revloc8 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm a noob when it comes to electrical stuff... :oops:
I got a few Yate Loons recently and I love em. BUT I dont like the 3/4 pin connections they have. I really only use 3 pin connectors so I would like to snip off the 4-pin molex connectors. Can I just snip them off and wrap the lose ends with electrical tape? Or does anyone have a better idea?
Anyone who can help, thanks in advance.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 am

Cut the wires very close to the 3-pin connector; if you do this right there won't be enough trailing loose ends for them to touch each other, yet alone anything else. I've done this dozens of times, perfectly safe.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:04 am

You know when you cut them off you WILL need those 4 pin connections again someday, right? :wink:

But either trimming them really close would work, or leave a little with a bit of electrical tape. I like to sleeve them and then ziptie the lengths together, looks nice and leaves my options open.

revloc8

Post by revloc8 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:21 am

Yea, Psiu, I had considered that I might regret cutting them off at a later time, but I've got eight :twisted: of them so I just wont cut em all.
Thanks for the help guys...I now have what I wanted: 3 pin fans.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:37 am

I know one can snip off the molex connector wires of a 92mm Nexus fan but I seem to recall the 120mm Nexus fans being wired differently. Does anyone know if you can snip off the wires going to the molex connector on a 120mm Nexus fan?