Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stevenkelby

Fan speed controller

Post by stevenkelby » Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 am

Hey Guys,

I am in the middle of an upgrade. Here is what I have or have coming:

Antec P180

Seasonic S12 550 Energy + PSU. Mounted in the bottom of the P180 by itself with no other fan in the bottom chamber.

Gigabyte DS3P M/B

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (Now realize I should have got E6600, no big deal)

Rambo RAM DDR800 1GB X 4

Samsung 500GB HD501LJ

Noctua NH U12. I plan on using 2 Nexus real silent 120mm fans on it, the current single 800rpm Noctua 120mm fan doesn't seem to push enough air to cool well, I will mount that in the roof of the case to vent hot air as it's quiet and hot air rises anyway right? Is that a good idea? This 800rpm fan is quiet enough to let run all the time at 12V I think, so doesn't need controlling.

2 more Nexus real silent 120mm fans, one for the rear of the case and 1 mounted on a Sunbeam Wherever PCI Rack, pointed at the ...

ASUS GF8500GT 256MB passive vid card.

I don't know stuff all about PCs in general but got some advice what to get from here and other forums.

I don't game but do edit vid, burn, web surf, music server etc. My Number 1 priority is silence, followed by fast multitasking.

I will put the case in a cupboard under the desk with foam panels lining the cupboard so that will help but I want the PC as quiet as possible as often as possible.

I want a fan controller to automatically speed up / slow down both the heatsink fans and the vid card and case fans. 4 in total.

Now my question is:

First, am I on the right track? Do I need to swap any components?

But mainly, despite all the countless threads here I have read, I am still confused as to fan controllers. I don't even know where I will plug the 5 fans in, let alone how to control 4 of them, or if thats the right thing to do. Can anyone tell me or give a link for something that can sense the temperature (of the CPU I guess? Clueless) and adjust fan speed accordingly, that will work with my gear? I don't know if I need to buy a temperature sensor or where to put it?

I can solder and am quite good at putting things together but am new to PCs, very time poor and uneducated about these things.

I don't care what it costs, not really keen on DIY, just want the fans turning as slow as possible as often as possible, but will auto ramp up when needed.

Any advice and purchase recommendations very much appreciated, are bribes allowed here? Free chocolate posted to the best advice! I work here:

http://haighschocolates.com.au/

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu May 31, 2007 10:06 am

This is what you want. It costs about USD100.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Thu May 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Thanks for that.

Looks good, I think I will get that. I wouldn't know what to do with it though, can you guys help with the set up? I assume you put the sensors that it comes with under the CPU or somewhere?

I'm in Australia, found it here: http://www.pccasegear.com/prod4057.htm

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 pm

Here is a review of the mCubed T-Balancer bigNG, it doesn't provide a complete manual, bit gives an indication of what to expect.

The software included is the key to setting up this controller.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 am

Sounds awesome, will get it to control the 2 heatsink fans, 1 fan blowing over video card and the rear case fan.

Or can it control the 2 heatsink fans as one "channel", then 3 other fans independently for case etc?

At the bottom of this link, it says 3/8" or 1/2" fittings, what does that mean and whichdo I need?

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod4057.htm

Thanks guys!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:05 am

stevenkelby wrote:Sounds awesome, will get it to control the 2 heatsink fans, 1 fan blowing over video card and the rear case fan.

Or can it control the 2 heatsink fans as one "channel", then 3 other fans independently for case etc?

At the bottom of this link, it says 3/8" or 1/2" fittings, what does that mean and whichdo I need?

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod4057.htm

Thanks guys!
They've put it in the "watercooling" category, for some odd reason, and watercooling parts typically use those dimensions of hoses. I suspect the question is therefore a moot one as none of the components of the bare t-balancer have watercooling fittings. There are flowmeter attachments for it, though, which would have them.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:02 pm

stevenkelby wrote:Or can it control the 2 heatsink fans as one "channel", then 3 other fans independently for case etc?
It depends on the combined amperage ratings of the fans. BigNG max PWM power/channel is 40W. 40/12 = 3.33. So, the combined amperage of your two fans cannot be > 3.33A for PWM to work correctly. Given than most computer fans have amperage << 1A, you should be fine.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks guys, I will just go for 1/2" and see what I get then!

jessekopelman wrote:
stevenkelby wrote:Or can it control the 2 heatsink fans as one "channel", then 3 other fans independently for case etc?
It depends on the combined amperage ratings of the fans. BigNG max PWM power/channel is 40W. 40/12 = 3.33. So, the combined amperage of your two fans cannot be > 3.33A for PWM to work correctly. Given than most computer fans have amperage << 1A, you should be fine.
I will use only Nexus real silent 120mm fans now.

Apparently they only pull .3 Amp / 0.3 Watt each so I should be able to use 10+ fans on each channel, is that right?

http://www.nexustechnologyusa.com/c/ntu ... of_20.html

So thats great, I should be able to run 2 off each channel then, just have them all turning slowly. The more fans in the P180 the merrier I guess!

So channel 1 will be for 2 heatsink fans.

Channel 2 is for 1 PSU / HD compartment fan

Channel 3 is for the fan blowing over the video card

Channel 4 is for the 2 fans in the rear and top of the case.

Is that a good plan?

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:44 am

Any answers if this plan will work, 2 fans on one channel?

I was serious too, when it's all up and running, I will pm people for addresses for presents!

I'll be stuffed without your help!

I ordered the Tuniq Tower today as well. Been reading lots here and elsewhere the last couple days, looking forward to it but I know I will need help getting it all together.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:55 pm

stevenkelby wrote:Any answers if this plan will work, 2 fans on one channel?
It'll work, you just need the right connector -- some sort of Y-connector. I'm sure it's out there, but may take a bit of searching to find it.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:40 am

Cool thanks. I will just cut and solder 2 fans to one plug then if I need to. Might not woorry about it, just leave one of the fans on 5V all the time. We'll see.

My next problem is that the Big NG seems to be unavailable. The store I bought it from emailed and said they can't get it anymore and I can't find one anywhere.

Any ideas where to find one?

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:05 am

OK it looks like the Big NG isn't available anywhere and a lot of people have had trouble with it on the Mcubed forum.

ANy other controllers that can control 4 fans automatically according to the temps of NB, CPU, GPU and case?

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:45 pm

just wondering if you have contacted KustomPCs? They have got quite a large range of mCubed stuff:
http://kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Automat ... llers.html

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Yep, out of stock. Thanks Though!

Might have to see if the mini will do it. I don't understand the difference with all the products they sell (MCubed). Do you need a T-Balancer AND a mini / big NG?

Are they 2 seperate products?

I will try to research it further.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:57 pm

T-Balancer is an earlier generation of the same product. The main difference between T-Balancer and the NGs is that it doesn't support voltage control, only PWM. Some people don't like PWM, as it leads to weird noises out of some fans (not many though and I'm pretty sure not Nexus). If you can still find any, T-Balancer should do the job for you.

sanse

Post by sanse » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 am

stevenkelby wrote:Cool thanks. I will just cut and solder 2 fans to one plug then if I need to. Might not woorry about it, just leave one of the fans on 5V all the time. We'll see.

My next problem is that the Big NG seems to be unavailable. The store I bought it from emailed and said they can't get it anymore and I can't find one anywhere.

Any ideas where to find one?
you can buy it directly from them and pay by paypal. have a look at:

http://www.mcubed-store.com/

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:53 am

Awesome, thanks Jesse! You're in the front running for some free chocy's lol!

Edit: You too Sanse, plenty to go round!

The big NG is out of stock even from there though Sanse. I think I have found every place that used to sell it though.

Will research a bit more more now on diff. between the Mcubed bits, looks like a choice between classic and mini, not sure which I need:

http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/ind ... cPath=1_35

I like the idea of being able to program them all from windows. This one can't do that, but otherwise looks cool:

http://www.directron.com/digitaldoc5.html

Any comments?

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:58 am

Well, I found a BigNg at Performance-PCs.com so impussively went and ordered it. They call it the Alphacool BigNg though, not MCubed.

Hopefully they don't email me tomorrow saying they are out of stock.

I got 6 more digi sensors too, making 8, for HD, CPU, PSU, GPU, NB, SB, case 1 and 2.

Will contol 5 nexus 120mm real quiets. 1. Tuniq Tower (CPU), 2. Middle case fan of P180, blowing over MB, 3. on a Sunbeam anywhere mount blowing on the GF8500GT passive vid card, 4. Rear case fan, 5. either middle front fan, making a push pull tunnel in the upper HD bay, OR, top fan. Will test and see whats best but it seems the top fan is a bad idea, lots of people block it. We'll see.

Only 1 HD, suspended in Sycthe quiet case in lower HD compartment, and Seasonic S12 550 in rear. No fan in lower compartment.

Doing lots of work on the case now, removed all grills, filters etc. Applying lots of sound deadening to everything, sealing up seams (there were rattles where pieces are riveted together).

Should be pretty quiet I hope!

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:03 pm

You may find you have more fans planned than you need. Core 2 Duos really aren't that hard to cool. Meanwhile, there is nothing bad about having hard drive temps in 40s C (some even claim this is better than lower temps). I'd also question whether the 8500GT needs a dedicated fan (these things are designed to run very hot with no problems). The P180 case is known for pretty good airflow and the air pulled through the Noctua by its fan coupled with the case exhaust fan should be moving the case air enough to cool the HD and video cards. Once you've got all your parts together, experiment a bit to see which combination of fans gives adequate cooling with lowest noise. Remember, it's not about lowest possible temps, it's about acceptable temps with lowest possible noise.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks Jesse, I understand, quiet is most important, cool just has to be acceptable.

I plan on learning how to overclock things for faster performance so thought I should go overboard with the cooling just in case. I expect that most fans won't really run at all most of the time but on a hot day when I am pushing it, it will be good to have the headroom.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Yes. A nice thing about using something like the the T-balancer is that you can have fans that are "sleeping" until needed. So, you get the best of both worlds -- high fan count when you need it, low when you don't. My only concern is all the cabling needed for all those fans and temperature sensors. It could easily become a big mess and will certainly make it difficult to add/modify things later.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:54 pm

Yeah I will have to be very careful with the cabliung. I have lots of spiral wrap and clips and cable ties and things an d will take my time. Bit worried about the Seasonic S12 550 cables not being long enough when I go to put it all together. I guess I can cut and solder some extra wire in to make them longer, or buy extensions. Will have to see when it arrives, hopefully today or tomorrow.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Just got an email from Performance-PCs.com saying the BigNg is on back order but should arrive very soon. Looks like I'll have to be patient.