Front intake in P182 5.25" bays

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dentaku

Front intake in P182 5.25" bays

Post by dentaku » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Has anyone ever put a 120mm fan in the 5.25" bays of a P182. I've noticed that I have lots of room under my DVD burner to fit the 120mm Yate Loon I'm currently using as a front intake fan in the place where the top HDD cage usually goes (the one with the dust filter).

If I take out all the slot covers under my burner it leaves a big hole directly in line with the Scythe fan on my Ninja and my temps go down.
Sure, it's not dust filtered like the official front intake fan locations but at least it's aligned perfectly with the CPU.

If this works well, maybe I'll disconnect the top Antec fan which isn't terribly quiet even set to low.

Old gramophones used to have doors in the cabinet that you would use as a simple volume control and I guess this is similar. If I open the P182's door, my temperatures go down.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:22 am

A Scythe Kama Bay seems to work well if you need the extra airflow. The fan itself probably isn't necessary, it's the extra intake area that does the trick.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:55 am

nick705 wrote:A Scythe Kama Bay seems to work well if you need the extra airflow. The fan itself probably isn't necessary, it's the extra intake area that does the trick.
Aha, so someone even made a commercial product for this.
Interesting.

I also see in those photos that the Ninja was ducted to the outside. I've been wanting to try that AND ducting my 8800GTS too.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Since P-180-series has 5,25" rails, so you need slight tricking to make KamaBay fitting. Like I had to do with rails on my SLK3000B.

robaal

Post by robaal » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:06 am

thejamppa wrote:Since P-180-series has 5,25" rails, so you need slight tricking to make KamaBay fitting. Like I had to do with rails on my SLK3000B.
The Kama Bay holes are in non-standard places? The rails I got with the P180 seem to have three holes near the front.
I guess it might get tricky to slide it in with two pairs of rails with single connection points.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:05 pm

robaal wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Since P-180-series has 5,25" rails, so you need slight tricking to make KamaBay fitting. Like I had to do with rails on my SLK3000B.
The Kama Bay holes are in non-standard places? The rails I got with the P180 seem to have three holes near the front.
I guess it might get tricky to slide it in with two pairs of rails with single connection points.
The Kama Bay is a bit different from a standard 5.25" drive. If you want to use the steel clips that come with the P180, you need to drill some holes in the steel clips and bend them to engage the chassis snaps.

I did this because it was fun :? -- it probably makes more sense to mount the Kama Bay with some tape...

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:06 am

A rear duct I can see the use for. However, I don't see the sense of ducting to the top exhaust as shown in that link. It may cool the CPU a little better but surely it limits the escape of heat from the rest of the case. The area around the top of the RAM/Super IO chip where my motherboard sensor is gets is hotter than the CPU cores when my system is at idle, and isn't far behind under Orthos - I'd hate to imagine how hot it would get if I stuck a duct in preventing heat escaping from the top of the case. Mind you, I do have 4 sticks of RAM rather than 1 so have a lot more heat comming from this area.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 am

Here you have an alternative to the Kama Bay.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 1&area=usa

I have a Kama Bay and I must say it is well worth the money.
Still Silverstones product is sturdier more high quality solution I think.
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:43 pm

RBBOT wrote:A rear duct I can see the use for. However, I don't see the sense of ducting to the top exhaust as shown in that link. It may cool the CPU a little better but surely it limits the escape of heat from the rest of the case. The area around the top of the RAM/Super IO chip where my motherboard sensor is gets is hotter than the CPU cores when my system is at idle, and isn't far behind under Orthos - I'd hate to imagine how hot it would get if I stuck a duct in preventing heat escaping from the top of the case. Mind you, I do have 4 sticks of RAM rather than 1 so have a lot more heat comming from this area.
No, that's not how the top duct works.

The ducting around the Ninja CPU heat sink isolates the hot air from the CPU completely from the rest of the system, by forcing it directly out the back of the case.

With this arrangement, the top fan is pulling warm air from the rest of the system, including the VRM and DRAM.

The purpose of the upper duct is to direct this airflow as close as possible to the motherboard by blocking off all the other paths. This increases the air flow across the motherboard (and its components other than the CPU, which is cooled by the Ninja), and provides generally better cooling for both the VRM and the DRAM. The NB is cooled separately, as is the video card.

A cursory glance at the photo might lead you to think the top duct is in some way connected to CPU cooling, but it is not. The upper case fan duct mates with the CPU duct, but the two air flows are completely separate.