Aluminum Frame Yate Loon....internal de-couple.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Aluminum Frame Yate Loon....internal de-couple.

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 am

Too bad.....you'll have to make this one. Get a 120mm aluminum frame fan (an Evercool in this case). Remove the guts (four screws).

Take a steel fan grill and straighten out the mounts, bending the ends 90 degrees. Cover the stubs with some small rubber vacuum hose.

Cut out some more rubber hose, so the whole thing is a snug fit when assembled.

Cover the exposed edges with silicone rubber, so the grill won't slip out.

Cut the guts out of a suitable fan....leaving the mount stubs attached. Temporarily attach the YL to the fan grill, using zip-ties......carefully centering it of course.

If the testing goes ok you can more permanently attach the fan to the grill with epoxy, or silicone rubber sealant.

There you go....a unique Yate Loon, in a fancy frame, with effective internal rubber mounting. Happy Modding.....

:D

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 am

Wow, that's great. Internal rubber mount. Man, you should patent that or else some fan designer can steal your idea from this forum ;)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 pm

This mount method is similar to some Arctic Cooling fans......except this frame is closed, and the airflow should be identical to the original fan. Plus you are not stuck with a particular fan. If you don't like the result you can remove the fan, and reinstall the original fan, since it removes without cutting.

Getting things patented is expensive......and fighting a Tt patent infringement is impossible for a single person. You know it would happen. :(

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:45 pm

This is my 4th of July holiday gift to the world.....an exclusive Bluefront invention. Feel free to copy. Just give me credit..... :lol:

After playing with this new fan setup for a few hours, I can say this. You could solidly attach this fan to the most flimsy aluminum case, and not get any vibration transfer. Using the medium speed Yate Loon @12V.....there is no vibration whatever transferred into the fan frame. It's a success. :D

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:05 pm

Nice idea!

My Evercools are sitting around collecting...err...NO dust because I'm using unpatented Bluefront air filters, of course!

Pleated, high surface area, I swear! I would post pics but my camera is, uhm, I gotta go feed the parrots...

CraftyChicken
Patron of SPCR

Post by CraftyChicken » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:17 pm

Awesome idea! I can't wait to test this out, as my fans still get some harmonics despite all the soft mounting in the world. I tried the Arctic Cooling one similar to this, but it was way to noisy. Don't worry about the patent, your right about it being expensive and difficult. You could get a provisional, but that's still a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, no one can patent this now unless they prove unique research before your post. More than one good idea has been tossed out by some obscure reference, a citation from a competitors research journal, or a long lost dissertation at MIT. Believe me, if it were a hit idea and someone did manage to sneak this past the patent office and earn a placard, every fan maker and his brother would be scouring high and low for anything to prove the idea as previous knowledge. Lawyers are cheap compared to patent royalties. Finally, as a patent agent once told me: "A patent doesn't give you the right to sell something, it only let's you prohibit other's from selling it."

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:24 am

Thanks.....This particular fan is setup to be an exhaust fan, mounted on the outside of the case (I always put the rear exhaust fan outside to improve airflow). The grill is about 2mm outside the aluminum frame.

Now if you want to mount this fan inside the case, you'll have to recess the grill slightly when you're mounting it to the aluminum frame. To do this you'll have to find a grill that has an outer ring slightly smaller than the opening of the aluminum frame. Alternately, you could snip off the outer ring. Remember......you want no part of the steel grill to touch the aluminum. Close is ok...... :)

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:03 am

now the question:

where did you get the frame?:)