Reviews of ZM-MFC1 Plus?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DaveLessnau

Reviews of ZM-MFC1 Plus?

Post by DaveLessnau » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Has anyone seen any actual reviews of Zalman's ZM-MFC1 Plus fan controller? From their web page, it looks nice enough. But, I have no idea if it works as well as it looks. Also, I don't quite know what to make of the specs. Under "RPM Sensing," Zalman's site says "Active RPM Sensing (All 6 Channels)." But, then, under "Fan Cables," it says:

C1 Cable x 2 - Active RPM Sensing
C2 Cable x 4 - Non-RPM Sensing

Active sensing of all 6 channels seems to be contradicted by the 4 non-RPM sensing connections. There doesn't appear to be any documentation available on Zalman's site, so I can't read that to figure it out. Looking at some of the retailers' sites, it looks like all 6 connectors are 3-pin (which I thought meant RPM sensing). Regardless, since fan control appears to be solely via the turning the control knobs, I assume any RPM sensing would just be used to change the color and/or intensity of the LED for a particular line.

Any experience/reviews out there?

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:06 pm

While I haven't seen a review of the product I own the MFC1 (non plus) and the MFC2.

What I think they are trying to say (I find they aren't very good at explaining their products) is that cables C1 have a cable which can be plugged in the motherboard header so that the computer can monitor the RPM's.

At least this is what came with my MFC1, two cables had an additional plug which ran from the fan controller to the motherboard.

Now i'm sure it would be possible to modify/add additional RPM monitoring wires and plug them to the motherboard.

So really the fan controller can't even read RPM's, from my understanding the led varies with the applied voltage (I.E. knob position)

Hope it helps,

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:33 am

that cables C1 have a cable which can be plugged in the motherboard header so that the computer can monitor the RPM's.
That makes sense. If the Zalman fan controller just took over something like the CPU fan without passing the info back to the motherboard, the motherboard fan alarm would go off (at least until I figured out how to turn it off). I really wish Zalman would put a PDF of their documentation online so I could at least read that.

I had also looked at the non-Plus version. But, a recurring motif in the reviews I've read is that the lights are really bright. This Plus version looks a lot more subdued.

I'd also looked at the MFC2. But, I was worried about the amount of light from all that displayed information. How do you like it? Also, on startup, does it start the fans at the full 12V and then reduce the voltage, or does it just start up at a reduced voltage?

Felger Carbon

Re: Reviews of ZM-MFC1 Plus?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:02 pm

DaveLessnau wrote:Has anyone seen any actual reviews of Zalman's ZM-MFC1 Plus fan controller?
Dunno about the "Plus", but try this. Amazing what a little googling turns up! :P

Looks like Zalman packaged the guts of 4ea Fanmates into one box. :wink:

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Druneau wrote:While I haven't seen a review of the product I own the MFC1 (non plus) and the MFC2.
When did you get the MFC2 and where did you get it from? I have been trying to source one of these but can't find a retailer, on-line or here in Houston, that has them in stock!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Jason W wrote:When did you get the MFC2 and where did you get it from? I have been trying to source one of these but can't find a retailer, on-line or here in Houston, that has them in stock!
I searched google/products and got 8 hits. Usually, that means there's lots more outlets that don't list all (or even some) of their products with the former "froogle".

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:50 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
Jason W wrote:When did you get the MFC2 and where did you get it from? I have been trying to source one of these but can't find a retailer, on-line or here in Houston, that has them in stock!
I searched google/products and got 8 hits. Usually, that means there's lots more outlets that don't list all (or even some) of their products with the former "froogle".
None of the vendors on the Google product search have it. tried about everyone listed as a vendor on Zalman's website also.

Guess I need to have patience then...

p.s. - how do you like the MFC2?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:47 am

Try to find Zalman's importer in the US, or contact Zalman directly. You could also just use the link on Zalman's home page at http://www.zalman.co.kr, click "U.S.A." and then click "Where to buy". Real simple. :)

Also, why not ask local stores if they can order it?

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:03 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Try to find Zalman's importer in the US, or contact Zalman directly. You could also just use the link on Zalman's home page at http://www.zalman.co.kr, click "U.S.A." and then click "Where to buy". Real simple. :)

Also, why not ask local stores if they can order it?
Yep, I have gone through all the where-to-buy places listed on their USA website. Not one has it in stock. One said they expect to have some in next week, so I am trying my hardest to be patient.

I have not contacted Zalman directly, nor have I tried calling Directron or MicroCenter (or someone else locally in Houston) to see if they can get one fast directly from Zalman. I will likely call Zalman directly this morning to see what the deal is with thei product and why no one has them in stock.

I want to get this build finished, and since the GA-P35-DS3R motherboard can only control the CPU fan with software (per cmthomson), I want to wait to build the PC until I get a hardware controller (don't want to run the other fans at the full 12V). Unfortunately I have the ZM-MFC2 stuck in my head as the best solution right now... :x

Regards.

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am

I purchased it from www.NCIX.com. It was more of an "order and wait" kind of purchase. I had almost forgotten about it then it showed up at my door.

I'll post some pictures of the unit running tonight.

I've only had it for three days now, but I like it. My biggest problem with it are the viewing angles. Because of the display type, you basically have to be looking at it head on to be able to read the digits.

Now my case is on the floor... quite annoying.

The power meter function is very nice, almost instantaneous (it won't jump from 100 to 200 in one refresh, it will slowly climb up and reach a stable value).

Same goes with the fans, if you change the setting (tell the fan to go to 600rpm when it's at 1000) it will slowly change to that setting. From my initial setting up it can take to around 20 second before the fan reaches the set speed.

Now, my fans are nexus, i've set the rpm on the MFC2 to 60 (lowest setting available) to see if they would stop spinning, the RPM was reported as 0, but the fans were still spinning. (unit might have problem tracking lower rpm's)

I really like the vibrant colours the unit emits. At night it's not "OUCH my eyes" bright, and during the day it's very clear (even if you shoot light directly at it).

As I mentioned at the start of the post, I'll try and post some pictures after work tonight, to show the viewing angles.

DaveLessnau: I set up one of my fans to spin at 600rpm, upon starting my computer the rpm's for that fan reached ~950 then started to diminish until they reached aroun 600 (usualy 620)

EDIT: I checked when I had ordered it from ncix, 07-14-07... which is not as far back as I remembered.... I received it July 31st.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/25287/ZM ... AN%20TECH/
Last edited by Druneau on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 am

Druneau wrote:I purchased it from www.NCIX.com. It was more of an "order and wait" kind of purchase. I had almost forgotten about it then it showed up at my door.

I'll post some pictures of the unit running tonight.

I've only had it for three days now, but I like it. My biggest problem with it are the viewing angles. Because of the display type, you basically have to be looking at it head on to be able to read the digits.

Now my case is on the floor... quite annoying.

The power meter function is very nice, almost instantaneous (it won't jump from 100 to 200 in one refresh, it will slowly climb up and reach a stable value).

Same goes with the fans, if you change the setting (tell the fan to go to 600rpm when it's at 1000) it will slowly change to that setting. From my initial setting up it can take to around 20 second before the fan reaches the set speed.

Now, my fans are nexus, i've set the rpm on the MFC2 to 60 (lowest setting available) to see if they would stop spinning, the RPM was reported as 0, but the fans were still spinning. (unit might have problem tracking lower rpm's)

I really like the vibrant colours the unit emits. At night it's not "OUCH my eyes" bright, and during the day it's very clear (even if you shoot light directly at it).

As I mentioned at the start of the post, I'll try and post some pictures after work tonight, to show the viewing angles.

DaveLessnau: I set up one of my fans to spin at 600rpm, upon starting my computer the rpm's for that fan reached ~950 then started to diminish until they reached aroun 600 (usualy 620)
Yep, NCIX does not have them in stock, but you can order it and it will ship when it is in stock. I chose to be notified when in stock, in case I find one before they ahve it in stock.

I am anxiously awaiting any pictures you can show of it installed. I have the P182 case, and am also going to be running Nexus fans.

Thanks.

Jason

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:30 am

I emailed Newegg customer service and asked if they had any plans to stock the ZM-MFC1 Plus or ZM-MFC2. Their response was basically to check back in a couple of weeks (not an implication that it's on the way -- more an implication that they didn't know).

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 pm

I felt it would be better to create another thread about my MFC2.

viewtopic.php?t=42448

enzo_450

Post by enzo_450 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:06 pm

hi

can anyone tell me what colour the LEDs on the MFC1 plus are???

Cheers

- looking forward to browsing the forums

enzo_450

Post by enzo_450 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:34 am

anyone?

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:47 am

Newegg's got the ZM-MFC1 Plus in. Still no MFC2, and Druneau's got me torn between the two :) .

enzo-450: I still haven't seen a shot of this thing with the LEDs lit up. So, I have no idea what color they are. Have you tried an email to Zalman?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:22 am

Druneau wrote:While I haven't seen a review of the product I own the MFC1 (non plus) and the MFC2.
There's a review today here of the MFC2, if anybody's interested.

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:52 am

On the Newegg site for the MFC1 Plus, there are now a couple of user reviews. According to the reviews there, the LEDs are "blue when fans are low, red when fans are high" and "the LED changes from blue to red at an increased fan setting however, they change to red at about only 1/4 the max rotation."