How do the 120x38mm Panaflo's compare?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SHODAN

How do the 120x38mm Panaflo's compare?

Post by SHODAN » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:55 am

Hello SPCR, this is my first post.

I have a medium speed Panaflo 120x38mm fan. At one time this was considered quiet, at least for the CFM, and it has good flow vs pressure. How do the new fans compare to this old standard?

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Assuming undervolting, and that it's an old Japanese one, most new fans will be on par. Nexus are better (unless mounted horizontally) in terms of noise, but not by much. However, the FDB fans age much better. The main advantage with several newer fans is that they will happily run at lower RPMs, which is something that has always been a problem.

If it works good, don't replace it. I still have and use a 80mm Panflo L1A. So far no Chinese one has compared well, tough I haven't gotten any since the spin-off/merger thing.

If you're looking for more to get, Scythe S-flex E and Nexus are both excellent (Scythe not as nice to the ear, but it's not a big difference). I've read good things about Arctic Cooling's new ones, but am only just now itching to try them.

You won't find anything, I don't believe, recommended around here that has the headroom of a Panaflo M 120mm, though. We've got much weaker fans to choose from nowadays :).