120V AC squirrel cage fan needed for fireplace 'heatilator'

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

120V AC squirrel cage fan needed for fireplace 'heatilator'

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:33 pm

This isn't exactly computer related, but I figured that coming back here would likely be a good source of knowledge for this search.

I'm looking to get more heat out of the generic fake-log propane fireplace insert that we have in the living room. I plan to construct some tubing to loop around and over the flame to be warmed by the excess heat going up the flue, and then have a reasonable amount of airflow through the tubing and exhausting back into the room. Probably going to build it with 2" automotive exhaust pipe.

So, with that, I need a fan. I was thinking of a squirrel cage fan setup, preferably something with an exit of ~2-3", diameter or square. Though if I could find a regular fan setup (like a computer fan) of appropriate size and airflow, that might work as well. Would prefer to have a built in way for adjusting fan speed. Oh, and 120V AC powered, I don't want to deal with secondary power supplies or such.

My only thought so far was to look at McMaster-Carr, but didn't see what I wanted there. I've found stuff for sale on surplus websites, but its usually monstrously huge industrial shop sized fans. I just need something small (and preferably quiet!) to sit just to the side of the fireplace and feed air into my tubing setup.

Any ideas on where I could find something like this?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:44 am

The temperature difference will pump air all by itself. Try it fanless and see what you get.

neon joe

Re: 120V AC squirrel cage fan needed for fireplace 'heatilat

Post by neon joe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:26 am

How about a fan blowing into a rectangular box, with the bottom ends of the tubing connected?

front view(with front of 'box' cut out):
|----------------------------|
| O O O O O O <------{fan}
|----------------------------|

This would put 'positive pressure' in the box, which in turn, would force air through the tubes.

side view: indicating position of pipes (periods are the back side of fireplace)

. ---------- [exhaust]
./
| ------> fireplace faces this way --->
.\
. ---------[intake]

I think this would work well for you.

truckman

Post by truckman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:43 am

Fasco makes a lot of blowers of about the right size. A Google search on "Fasco blower" turns up a bunch of vendors. If you poke around the vendor web sites, you should be able to find blowers from other manufacturers as well.