Limit to how many fans through one header?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greg F.

Limit to how many fans through one header?

Post by Greg F. » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:10 pm

noob Q's:

http://www.case-mod.com/arctic-cooling- ... 585d9d89a2

If I use this 120mm fan on a Scythe Ninja and plug it into the four pin on the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H and then connect two Arctic Cooling 92mm fans to the "o­nboard CPU fan controller" how is that going to work out? The two 92mm fans would be used in the front of the Antec Solo.
I am a confused, though, because the specifications state." 4 pin plug for receiving power and PWM signal from motherboard, 4 pin socket for CPU cooler or second fan, 3 pin plug to send fan RPM signal to motherboard". I thought they just said that it would run five fans.
This m/b only has one four pin cpu fan header and one three pin fan header. No more. There is also a place to install a fan on the north bridge. system fan would go to the exhaust fan.

would one header handle that much amperage?

Solid Snake

Post by Solid Snake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 am

At 0.13A, I don't see any problem with running two of these right off the motherboard. However, these fans have built in PWM amps. They watch the mobo connector to see how fast to spin and instead pull their current directly from the PSU, allowing you to piggy back as many as you want off the mobo (since very little actual current is pulled from there). Instead of running off the motherboard, these fans just monitor it to see how much power to pull from the PSU.