Airflow in Antec Fusion

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ArtisanPC

Airflow in Antec Fusion

Post by ArtisanPC » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 am

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Fusion - the damn thing looks like I shaved a mammoth in there, due to the many vents and negative pressure. So, here's the big question: has anyone tried reversing the airflow so that the 120mm fans act as intake and push air over the components instead of exhausting it?

The CPU is a Turion ML-28 cooled by a Zalman 7700Cu at minimum, and I'm about to add a low-end graphics card (X1600SE or vanilla 6600) passively cooled by a Thermalright V2. Will all this work ok, and will things like the HDDs still receive adequate airflow?

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:52 am

You're going to use dust filters for the positive pressure, right?

The case is cramped so I'm not sure how reversing the fans will work out It may be one of those things where you have to try and see what kind of temperatures you get, unless someone else here that already tried it shares their experience.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:52 am

I've got my Fusion set up exactly as you're planning. I'm only using one of the 120's, set to low and blowing into the case, with the other hole blocked off. In my situation it wasn't dust I was worried about, but rather airflow pattern in the entertainment center where the fusion lives. I attached 6" long, 3" diameter cardboard tubes to the PSU exhaust and the (now) exhaust grill above the mobo backplane and cut corresponding holes in the back of the EC for the air to be pushed out of. Now the airflow follows a logical pattern of in the front opening of the EC, down each side of the Fusion, in the intakes on each side and out the back, with no hot air being recurculated through the system.

One thing to note is that you are going to lose the directed airflow over the HDD. This wasn't a factor for me since there's no HDD in my case - I just taped over the vents on the bottom and filled the front chamber with foam to help block noise.

My system uses much hotter components than yours, and it is externally watercooled, so most of my temps aren't really comparable, but for what its worth my mobo temp stays below about 40.

fingers

Post by fingers » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:04 am

Did the Thermalright V2 fit into the Fusion? I have an NSK2480 and am having problems finding a passive cooler that will fit!?

Thanks