Fan longevity/durability chart?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Fan longevity/durability chart?

Post by matt_garman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm

A week or so ago I happened across a chart that illustrated the expected longevity (lifetime) of many computer case fans.

For the life of me, I cannot remember where I saw that, and for whatever reason I didn't bookmark it.

Now I can't find it.

The graph may not have been computer-fan centric, but it did seem to list many of the SPCR "regulars", like Yate Loon, Scythe, etc.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
Matt

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:15 am

Sorry to disappoint you but these figures don't make much sence since every manufacturer uses it' own test procedures, not to mention that resellers often use their own "marketing methods" on that results.

P.S. Yate Loon is a manufacturer, Scythe isn't.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 am

EndoSteel wrote:Sorry to disappoint you but these figures don't make much sence since every manufacturer uses it' own test procedures, not to mention that resellers often use their own "marketing methods" on that results.

P.S. Yate Loon is a manufacturer, Scythe isn't.
Well, that's why the graph was interesting... IIRC, it was an independent study of fans. And it may have been smaller DC fans in general, not just computer case fans. Then again, maybe it wasn't a study, just taking manufacturer MTBF numbers at face value. Or they could have more closely investigated the design, manufacturing quality, and consistency of them.

I do remember that the X axis was expected lifetime; the sleeve-bearing based fans all had lower life expectancy than the ball bearing-based fans.

Arg, I'm starting to think maybe I dreamed it!

I did a fair amount of web searching today and last night, but I can't find it.

Who is Scythe's OEM? Particularly for the S-FDB models?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Hello,

I thought that the S-Flex model are made by Sony?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:36 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I thought that the S-Flex model are made by Sony?
The patent on the bearing design is owned by Sony and is licensed from Sony for the SFlex fans.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:32 pm

EndoSteel wrote:P.S. Yate Loon is a manufacturer, Scythe isn't.
I believe that YL headquarters is in Taiwan, and that their fans are (in recent years) manufactured in China. One other SPCR poster has stated that YL, like Scythe, is a pure marketing company with no manufacturing capability (again, in recent years). As I say, that's what I believe.

So I went to my "fan shelf" and saw that the Scythe Slipstream fans are marked "Made in China", as indeed are most of the fans on the shelf. But my YL 140mm fans are not marked by any country of origin. If the origin were China, I believe they would have to be so marked.

Question: do products made in Taiwan have to be so marked, or does Taiwan (and its special delicate political situation) get a free ride in the US of A?

It would appear that Bender is closer to the facts than I was. China has not subsumed 100% of the world's PC fan production? Zounds! :P

edit: I tried nailing down the facts using Google, and the facts seem to be as clear as mud. For instance, read this. It would seem that even Taiwanese products should be so labelled.