Rethinking my Solo's fan scheme

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Teh Lurv

Rethinking my Solo's fan scheme

Post by Teh Lurv » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:04 pm

I recently bought an Antec Solo to get a smaller, lighter mid-tower. My previous case, an Antec 1000AMG, operated with 2 80mm antec tri-cools (set to high), stock cooler, and 2 80mm Panaflo "M"s for intake. For cooling my Solo, I picked up:

Arctic Freezer Pro 7
120mm S-FLEX "E"
2x92mm Rexus NMB-MAT "M"

Other specs:
E4300 (OC to 2.4ghz)
2GB Ram
Gigabyte P965-DS3
7900GS

My intention was to balance out the intake/outtake CFM and seal up any non-filtered holes and vents to minimize dust intake.

When I started my PC after assembly, I immediately noticed and disapproved of the noise. I don't consider myself too picky about PC noise, my previous PC case was audible but not bothersome. I figured that the 92mm NMB-MAT fans should sound approximately the same as my old 80mm Panaflos. Unfortunately, the sound they emit is not quite as smooth as my old Panaflos, and with a high-pitched whine. As intake fans, the two 92mm fans are the loudest things in my case, overpowering all other sounds and don't fall into the background as easily.

In addition, the impedience of the intake fans by the Solo's bezel was much greater than I expected, leaving my PC without enough airflow. I dropped the CPU temp by 3C simply by opening the front bezel.

So I need to rethink my cooling scheme. My current plan is to open up more of the case for filtered intake. I already used the old plastic intake filter from the 1000AMG for a DIY PCI Vent filter. I am also planning on using a Kama bay as a passive, filtered intake.

My question is where should I go with my Solo's fan scheme? I definately want to replace the 92mm fans with something quieter. I'm thinking something along the lines of 25-30CFM, 20db, with good intake pull through a dust filter. Any recommendations?

Also, I am stuck on which fan setup for my Solo would produce better results in airflow and noise. I am between:

Negative pressure setup:
Exhaust: S-FLEX E
Intake: low-speed 92mm @ ~20db + filtered Kama Bay w/no fan

Balance pressure setup:
Exhaust: ??? (maybe a 1200rpm Slipstream?)
Intake: low-speed 92mm @ ~20db + filtered Kama Bay w/S-FLEX E

Any advice would be helpful.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

I think you'd be fine with a Slipstream 800RPM or maybe a 1200RPM (both undervolted to some extent), and no intake fans at all. Unless your hard drive(s) run over 45C; then I'd add one slow 92mm intake.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:00 am

I'd leave everything were it already is and wire the 2x92mm Rexus NMB-MAT "M" for 5 volts.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

viewtopic.php?t=22943

Note I use a paper clip to remove pins and rewire a fan to 5 volts. You don't need any expensive parts or equipment if you have a little manual dexterity.

If you are not the hands on type buy a 5v or 7v pass through cable. They are usually a few dollars and will do the trick without you having to do as much manual labor.

If the front fans on 5v isn't quiet enough for you it will likely be because the back fan is still at 12v at which time you can consider moving it down to 7v or 5v.

Seriously you have fans that are good enough, you just need to slow them down a little.