SilenX Jaro Temp Controlled Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

SilenX Jaro Temp Controlled Fan

Post by ez2remember » Thu May 15, 2003 10:07 pm

I have recieved my 5 (Jaro?) 14dBA/15dBA temperture controled fans from SilenX. This is my initial impression/test.

You get a lot of accessories with this fan including 4 EAR grommets with each fan. You also get a very handy 4pin-3pin adaptor. Lastly it comes with mounting screws, but I think you won't need them at all with the silicone fan mounts.

Firstly I would like to say I am disappointed with the fan voltage, it does not seem to go low enough for me. Maybe I was expecting too much? I was hoping the fan to start at 5v and gradually increase. The fans seems to hover around 1500-2000+ rpm depending on the temperture. At room temperture of about 25oC the fan spins @ ~1500+ rpm and goes just over ~2000rpm (well the max I could get it anyway by sticking the thermister next to my graphics HS with no fan, probably about 50oC). Calculated would mean ~9v at room temperture.

According to this spec, this is not the 15dBA Jaro fan which spins at 1600rpm @ 12v and 15dBA??. This does not seem to be the same fan as it goes over 2000rpm. :?

The fan does push quite a bit of air even at 1500rpm(~9v). Both fans at 12v it pushes about the same air as a Panaflo 80mm L1a, initial impressions anyway, maybe a tad less.

Is the fan 14/15dBA? Probably, maybe, not sure :? , it is quieter than the Panaflo 80mm L1a at 12v.

However I am very use to running all my Panaflos @5v and this is quieter than my estmated SilenX fan @9v (unfair comparison). If this fan starts at 5v I am pretty sure it will be quieter than the Panaflo. The SilenX fan makes an audible humming/little whiny sound from 2-3 ft away @~9v.

This fan is great for those who don't want to mess around with re-wiring and modding voltages of fans. It is also good for anyone who runs the Panaflos at 7v or higher. This will adjust the cfm accordingly to needs, you got the flexibility to move the thermister 12 inches anywhere.

I will try to reduce the voltage with a fanmate later so it starts at 5v then I think I will be happy, but as it is I am not sure if I will replace all my Panaflos just yet. I will wait to test how quiet these fans are at 5v. :D

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: SilenX Jaro Temp Controlled Fan

Post by aphonos » Thu May 15, 2003 10:13 pm

ez2remember wrote:According to this spec, this is not the 15dBA Jaro fan which spins at 1600rpm @ 12v and 15dBA??. This does not seem to be the same fan as it goes over 2000rpm. :?
This line leads me to believe you are disappointed that your experience doesn't match the expected specs. Where are you getting your anticipated/expected specs from?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri May 16, 2003 12:44 am

Can you tell us (after more experimenting) if it is able to run at 5V, if it is started with a higher voltage (say 9 volts)?

regards,
Halcyon

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: SilenX Jaro Temp Controlled Fan

Post by ez2remember » Fri May 16, 2003 8:40 am

aphonos wrote:
ez2remember wrote:According to this spec, this is not the 15dBA Jaro fan which spins at 1600rpm @ 12v and 15dBA??. This does not seem to be the same fan as it goes over 2000rpm. :?
This line leads me to believe you are disappointed that your experience doesn't match the expected specs. Where are you getting your anticipated/expected specs from?
Yep read this thread.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... light=jaro

Not disappointed as such, I think it is a very quiet fan at 12v compared to others including the Panaflo. But I was hoping the startup voltage to be at approximately 5v at room temperture. This is not that big issue in itself as I can attach it to a Zalman fanmate. It would of been nice if it did though as this will not cost me the purchase of so many fanmates to make them all start at a lower voltage. Don't get me wrong this fan is quiet. :lol:

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri May 16, 2003 8:49 am

If this fan starts at 5v I will be so happy! Automatically adjust according to the temp is a real bonus especially for the CPU and the PSU.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon May 19, 2003 7:09 am

After further testing this fan I can say I will start replacing all my 80mm L1a for the SilenX fans mainly due the thermal control sensor.

Both fans become inaudible at 5v to my ears at 6 inches away during the day, probably twice that amount at night. This fan seems to blow more air than the Panaflo at the same voltage.

Which one is outright quieter is hard to say but the quality of sound of the SilenX fan has a more broadband sound with no motor/bearing noises. It has a more pleasant sound than the Panaflo to my ears which seems to exhibit bearing noise, a very light electrical buzz at very close distance.

The fact it can adjust itself according to the temp is a real bonus so I will end up using these fans. Both Panaflo and SilenX fans are excellent and its a hard choice choosing which one. :?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon May 19, 2003 7:22 am

Did you ask if they stock 92mm and 120mm versions of the low speed Hypro bearing fans with temp controllers?

cheers,
Halcyon
Last edited by halcyon on Mon May 19, 2003 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Mon May 19, 2003 10:50 pm

Juat as a point of clarification, there is also an 'Ahanix Silenx' fan (which is made by Jamicon, instead of Jaro) that is still available at ColorCase.com. Click on this link if you are interested. There is no picture at all to see at that link, but aside from the rebadged center label it looks just like most other 80mm fans. This 'Ahanix Silenx' fan costs two dollars less, and has no temp sensing / control.

This 'Ahanix Silenx' fan from ColorCase.com is very, very quiet - especially at the lower voltages. Particularly at about 9V and lower, I believe that it might be absolutely the most quiet 80mm fan available right now. If your ears are sensitive enough to notice the small differences in fan sound involved, then I think you might actually like the Ahanix Silenx fan even better than the Jaro fan. Just something to think about...

8)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 20, 2003 12:52 am

Thanx for that.

You might be right, but according to Mike's review this fan does not blow much air. I suppose running it at greater than 7v defeats the object. I can run the Panaflo @ 5v and it would probably be quieter.

Mike also said this Ahanix fan is so hard to hear at all. I think it might well be quieter, but I wonder if 5v is sufficient in terms of airflow.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue May 20, 2003 2:28 am

I personally think that the Panaflo makes for a better CPU fan, both for its cfm and also for the pattern of the air that it directs down onto the heatsink. I tried the Jamicon fan as a CPU fan for a bit, but then put the Panaflo back on, since the Panaflo seemed to cool the CPU better than the Jamicon fan did at the same voltages.

However, the Jamicon, aka 'Ahanix Silenx' fan makes a far superior case (or PSU) fan in my opinion. Running the Jamicon at 7V, especially with isolator mounts, is exceptionally quiet. At 5V you won't hear it without putting it right up to your ear. I find the Jamicon to be quieter at low-voltages than the Panaflo. I personally can hear an electrical ticking sound from the Panaflo at low voltages. That Panaflo low-voltage electrical ticking sound is inaudible when coming from deep-inside the computer case (on a CPU sink that is), but I can hear the Panaflo when it is used as a case fan. No such noise comes from the Jamicon fan.

The Jamicon fan consistently starts at 5V just fine, but as a case fan you would probably end up running it at around 7V since it is also so amazingly quiet within that voltage range too. If you had more than one Jamicon running as case fans, you could easily get away with running them all at 5V.

Anyway, since you're wishing to replace all your fans with the quietest possible - and since you're obviously excited about those Jaro fans you are currently trying out - I suggest that you might want to also try the Jamicon aka 'Ahanix Silenx' fan at ColorCase.com, at least as case fans. I think you may find them to be even better for this use than the Jaro fans - especially if your ears are very sensitive and your computer is highly silenced.

8)

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:49 am

Al Bundy,
I was going to try some of those Ahanix Silenx fans from Colorcase.com but they won't ship to Canada (or anywhere outside of the USA for that matter). :(
I don't get it. Almost EVERY site I've found in the States will ship to Canada, I don't know what these people have against us Canucks.
So if you live outside of the US, it looks like you're "stuck" with the SilenX fans from SilenX.com. And with Peter's deceptive marketing practices, I certainly don't want to support him.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:59 pm

The Ahanix fan is avalable for the originator of the brand (rebrand), http://www.exoticpc.com/, who does ship to Canada. Place order by phone, it appears.