Need quiet 40mm fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jdavis37

Need quiet 40mm fans

Post by jdavis37 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I just installed 2 SRU Dataport hot swappable hard ddrive enclosures and each has a 40mm Sunon MagLev fan for ventilation. My PC is NOT a totally quiet case ( Coolermaster 120mm fans x 4 plus 1 80mm fan ) but it is very quiet and more than quiet ofr my needs.

That said, I was a bit hesitant to go with the 40mm fans for the hot swappable bays due to noise though i was hoping the MagLev fans would be quieter.

Just installed them tonight and they are basically something I can live with but not happy about. I have 2 of them and can easily hear them whereas before my case was as clos eot quiet as I needed.

I'm seeking a 40mm fan to rpelce these with, so if anyone has a good reocmendation. These fans are rated somewhere near 6 cfm. Any hel p is appreciated.. misisng my quiet case!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 pm

A quiet 40mm fan isn't gonna push many CFMs. Scythe makes the 40mmx10mm Mini Kaze, 4.11CFM, and the 40x20mm Mini Kaze Ultra, 4.86CFM. Strangely, the 10mm version has a much lower-pitched noise, which is more pleasing to my ear. These are probably as quiet as you'll find in the $5-$7 range.

jdavis37

Post by jdavis37 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:A quiet 40mm fan isn't gonna push many CFMs. Scythe makes the 40mmx10mm Mini Kaze, 4.11CFM, and the 40x20mm Mini Kaze Ultra, 4.86CFM. Strangely, the 10mm version has a much lower-pitched noise, which is more pleasing to my ear. These are probably as quiet as you'll find in the $5-$7 range.
Thanks for the reply and information. Price is of course less important than is noise at this point. The Sunons that came with the hot swappable enclosures aren't super loud but are just so much louder than the case was before. I may get used to it in time or may just turn the drives off when not in use. The Sythe's are probably worth a try especially given their price point. They are rated a little lower than the Sunon Mag Lev's (cfm) but then we know what ratings are worth! Really shouldn't need that much air flow to keep a backup drive ( infrequently used ) drive to cool. Chassis is all aluminum as well and case has a lot of airflow going in ( slightly more going out than going in )

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:19 am

I'm looking for some quiet 40mm fans as well. I was going to get the Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra but while I was looking online I noticed the Antec 40mm BB Case Fan. The spec sheet says they run at 2200 rpm and push out 6.5 CFM....
http://www.antec.com/us/support_product ... odID=76005

At 2200rpm I would assume it would be quieter than the Scythe but I don't think it's pushing 6.5 CFM..

Sunon also has a new series of "Super Silence" fans that I would like to try out but could not find any retailers carrying them.
http://www.sunonusa.com/pdf/HA%20Super% ... %20Fan.pdf

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:41 am

You can mostly forget mfg specs.....probably the max rpm spec is the only one to believe. The higher the max rpm, the louder of course. Thicker fans will blow more air. None of these small fans will blow much air however, except at insanely high rpm.

I have both Scythe fans mentioned by FC.....not bad. Both under-volt and start ok. Try them out since they're cheap enough.