For the technocrats...(fun factor warning)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

walle

For the technocrats...(fun factor warning)

Post by walle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi gents

Just spent some time on Nexxus homepage when I stumbled upon a nifty little gadget, many of you might have seen this one before (heck, for all I know it might have been around for quit some time now) yet I highlight its existence for those that may not have seen it before. Hmm, I recon this would suit the most ûber anal technocrat crowds out there, me? Well, I’ll have to come clean and state that I do find myself in that category...at times anyway.

The prolong

Cheers
Last edited by walle on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:15 pm

If you ask me, that sound like a load of bogus information. When you switch your PC off, the heat in the case is exactly the same as when it was running. If it didn't harm your PC while on, why should when it's switches off? True, there might be a bit of heat slowly drifting off your components, but since there's no more heat generated, so what.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm

This kind of thing is based on the theory that computers are like cars. With a car, you have the engine with combustion events taking place between 800-1100 degrees farenheit normally, but up to 1650 degrees exhaust temperature at high load. The exhaust ports in the cylinder head and exhaust manifold bear the brunt of all that heat, operating up in the 800-1500F range.

Meanwhile, the oil circulating through the said engine should range from 200-250 degrees and the coolant should be "only" 160-210 degrees. Now when you shut the motor down, coolant stops circulating and that hot exhaust manifold and hot spots in the cylinder heat begin seeping through the rest of the motor, getting everything else hotter. In a well designed motor, its no big deal, but in some engines particularly sensitive to heat, such as many modern water & oil cooled turbochargers, they actually continue to circulate coolant for a minute or so after the engine shutdown in order to clear out the hot spots.

With computers, the hottest part is the CPU core and it has direct cooling on it already. Although the fans shut down once power is shut down, the CPU also shuts down the instant power is off. Thus, there is nothing ever in a computer hotter than the CPU (or GPU, or chipset) and each of those hot devices has a heatsink that is MORE than capable of covering any gap between when the fan's power is cut and any possible miliseconds of time that the chip is still getting power.

Bottom line is that though heat may still bleed from the CPU towards the mobo, heating items around it, the heat left over is minimal and there are no massive hot spots like a car's engine has. Nothing in a computer runs at 800 degrees for example, the way a car's EGT's are even at idle.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm

No disagreement, it might be as useful as a led fan, yet, the point here is that it’s a fun product which should suit the technocrat crowds just fine…â€

Sugadaddy

Post by Sugadaddy » Sat May 31, 2008 11:51 am

Turbo-timer for a PC :D

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sat May 31, 2008 12:14 pm

The hottest parts are cpu, gpu. As soon as the computer shuts down, there is NO heat source anymore, so there is nothing which will heat op more than it is already, while there are often large cooling fins around to dispensate the heat.
I can't imagine which part of the computer would heat up after the computer has shut down..
It appears to me that it is just another toy with a high fun factor but with nothing else.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Sat May 31, 2008 12:22 pm

And, those parts have a heatsink so even if there was a fraction of a second when the CPU/GPU still generated heat after the fan turned off, no big deal.