Building new HTPC - these three fans a good choice?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

floepie

Building new HTPC - these three fans a good choice?

Post by floepie » Thu May 01, 2008 10:24 am

The case has two 80mm fans for exhaust in the rear and has room for two 80mm "slim profile" fans up front beneath the hard drives for drawing air into the case. The CPU cooler is a Ninja Mini.

I'm hoping that I can simply get by without the two slim profile fans up front.

For the two rear fans, I think two Nexus 80mm fans (3 pin) might be the way to go. And, for the CPU cooler fan, I was thinking of the 92mm Scythe Kama Flex, as it seems to be as good, if not better than, the Nexus 92mm fan (also cheaper). Should I be looking at another 92mm fan for the CPU cooler, one that is a PWM fan (4-pin) instead?

Is there anything just as good as those fans at comparable/lower cost? Thanks...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Your choices sound good given the case constraints.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat May 03, 2008 4:11 pm

The 92mm Kama Flex is probably the best option available. Not much experience with 80mm fans but nexus is always a strong option, although they have been a bit quiet (no pun intended) on new releases recently while scythe and others have improved their designs alot.

Modo

Post by Modo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:22 pm

I've had a good experience with the 80mm Noctua fan. It doesn't seem to suffer from the static pressure problems of its bigger brothers. It is a bit expensive, though.