SCYTHE KAZE MARU 140MM

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thunderpeteii

SCYTHE KAZE MARU 140MM

Post by thunderpeteii » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 pm

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html

With 120mm fan holes

I was just curious to see if anyone has tried these yet.

[/url]

Kaishi

Post by Kaishi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm

That's pretty amazing. I wonder if they're any good at all. They look like they could be a lot of fun.

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm

Same motor as Slipstream?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:43 am

I'll waiting for Scythe to come out with the Kobayashi Maru. I hear it's unbeatable... :roll:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:22 am

jhhoffma wrote:I'll waiting for Scythe to come out with the Kobayashi Maru. I hear it's unbeatable... :roll:
Kobayashi Maru? What's that? Wasn't Kobayashi name of the Japanese commander of the Iwo Jima garrison?

Anyway, 500 RPM version of 140mm monstoricity sounds nice ^^ Put that on 300's roof instead 140mm tri-cool and you get quiet air flow... Now I am starting to... regret I got 900 instead 300... lol... All because of this 140mm scythe ^^

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 am

Kobayashi Maru? What's that? Wasn't Kobayashi name of the Japanese commander of the Iwo Jima garrison?
It's a Star Trek reference. I don't get the name of this fan tho; "The Windy Ship"?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:51 pm

jaganath wrote:
It's a Star Trek reference. I don't get the name of this fan tho; "The Windy Ship"?
No wonder I couldn't recognized it... I am otaku... not a trekkie... ^^

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm

jaganath wrote:
Actually, it would be translated "The Ship named 'Wind'". Ship could also be interpreted as vessel, but still...

It must be reverse Engrish.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:43 am

The specification says it has both 120 mm and 140 mm mounting holes, but I can't see both, where are two hole sets?
The 500 rpm looks very tempting, it should move significantly more air than the 12 cm 500 rpm Slipstream, and still be quiet.
Right now in my country the only way to get one is to buy the Orochi. :?
Compared with the Slipstream it *should* handle back pressure / resistance better, due to the larger blade coverage.
I wish Felger Carbon was still among us, to test this fan for the SPCR folk... :(

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 am

jhhoffma wrote:
jaganath wrote:
Actually, it would be translated "The Ship named 'Wind'". Ship could also be interpreted as vessel, but still...

All your bases are belong to us.

BTW, jhhoffma, it's beatable. Just ask Kirk :D

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:19 am

tehfire wrote:BTW, jhhoffma, it's beatable. Just ask Kirk :D
He cheated, though.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:43 am

jessekopelman wrote:
tehfire wrote:BTW, jhhoffma, it's beatable. Just ask Kirk :D
He cheated, though.
John J. Sheridan would kick Kirk's ass... :P Anyway, fan looks really nice wether you're trekkie or not.

silence

Post by silence » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 am

I just ordered two of these for use in the top panel of my Cosmos. When they arrive and are installed, I will post first impressions in this thread. I'm very anxious to receive these, as I've been waiting for someone other than YL and Aerocool to make 140mm fans. The YL's had bearing noise issues in the horizontal position, and the Aerocool fans are only 20mm thick and have major blowby issues (i.e. air gets blown back through frame from end of blades).

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm

silence wrote:I just ordered two of these for use in the top panel of my Cosmos. When they arrive and are installed, I will post first impressions in this thread. I'm very anxious to receive these, as I've been waiting for someone other than YL and Aerocool to make 140mm fans. The YL's had bearing noise issues in the horizontal position, and the Aerocool fans are only 20mm thick and have major blowby issues (i.e. air gets blown back through frame from end of blades).
Please do post a review as well as pics ;)

FYI I believe Sharkoon also make 140mm fans - http://www.sharkoon.de/html/produkte/lu ... ex_en.html

silence

Post by silence » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Yesterday morning I installed two of these fans in the 1000RPM variety on the top panel of my CM Cosmos. I did take some pictures but as I am at work right now, cannot access ImageShack to upload them...pictures will follow in another post.

Initial impressions are positive. These fans exhibited no extraneous motor noise and did not produce any significant vibrations. Although the frame is a non-conventional round type, there is an open space between the mounting tabs which does keep options open for mounting on heatsinks that require clips.

I have not measured these as of yet, but did find that they do not have the same size frame as the Yate Loon and Aerocool 140mm fans and as such this may not be a true 140mm fan. The mounting points match up to the 120mm mounting holes on the Cosmos' top panel, though due to the round frame the blades may be the same length as other 140mm offerings on the market currently - I will be sure to measure sometime soon.

I use SpeedFan to control every single fan in my case, all connected to a Asus Crosshair motherboard. So far, it seems these fans do not report (accurate?) tachometer readings below 600RPM even though they continue to spin down to about 30% drive speed. I am curious to see if the 500RPM model has a different tachometer pickup to allow for lower-speed readings. Perhaps someone else can test this slower model?

So far, so good...and a thumbs up.

farns

Post by farns » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Anyone compared to these to a good 120mm? They look like bigger slipstreams, are they next quiet cooling cfm/dba kings?
Thats a lot of fan to push around quietly and evenly with no bearing noise Id imagine.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:06 am

Tzupy wrote:The specification says it has both 120 mm and 140 mm mounting holes, but I can't see both, where are two hole sets?
From the above link to Scythes website.

120mm Screw Holes
Compatible for 120mm case fan holes to be unique 140mm case fan in the market.
*Only Compatible to 120mm fan Slots!!*

Andy

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 am

silence wrote:Yesterday morning I installed two of these fans in the 1000RPM variety on the top panel of my CM Cosmos.
Problem I see is that the fan is designed to bolt to standard 120mm fan mounting holes but needs a bigger aperture to be effective. With the standard 120mm aperture the maximum flow from the 140mm blade tips hits solid metal and has to divert. Some numbers needed for how well the fan cools (compared to a similar noise 120mm) without chopping the case.

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:17 am

So are these fans any good in terms of their cooling power to noise ratio?

Or more specifically, compared to a standard 120mm fan, at the same (low) noise level, does it push more air in (A) open air and (B) under restriction such as in front of a radiator or heatsink?

Even informal feedback would be useful.

CallmeRoth

Post by CallmeRoth » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 am

It has 120mm holes and ONLY works on 120mm holes.

"120mm Screw Holes
Compatible for 120mm case fan holes to be unique 140mm case fan in the market.
*Only Compatible to 120mm fan Slots!!*"

-http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:13 pm

Ok with the debate on how to mount these fans in different holes, maybe there should be a different thread on the Scythe forums...

But I'm really more interested in getting my PC silent and a 140mm fan from a reputable distributor like Scythe that fits into a 120mm sized mounting sounds almost too good to be true. A 140mm fan should, in theory, push more air at lower RPM's, meaning that it should be quieter while pushing the same amount of air (or push more air at the same noise level;).

So are these fans any good compared to 120mm fans in terms of airflow to noise levels in the real world?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 am

Antec Tri-Cool 140mm vibrates like hell in Antec Three Hundred. It makes entire roof "dance". Even It has holes only for 140mm fans Kaze-Maru has "only" 120mm screw holes, that won't stop me. Bit elastic colrd and zip-ties...

Now if I could only decide between 1200 rpm and 500 rpm model... I guess 1200 rpm model has low enough starting voltage, so I can use it motherboard controller...

The current Antec TriCool 140 at low is around 700 rpm's according manual...

Edit:

I just looked starting voltages of the Kazemaru fans and then 1200 rpm fan has 3,5v starting voltage according the Scythe support. So I just out order for 1200 rpm KazeMaru. I'll how well their guide: 3,5v / 500 RPM as starting is... But I am very sure definately the fan will be quieter than Current antec and I do hope it vibrates less.

The antec 140mm is bristle plastic, even its black. You make the tap test it gives you the "ding" instead normal "thud". That is one reason, I think the 140mm Antec vibrates so hell. Frame is so damn light compeared the huge blades and hub...

Scythe to the rescue... Again...

Edit:

I today got my 1200 RPM fan it doesn't quite go to 500 rpm in motherboard controller but that's just motherboard thing I think. I should verify its starting voltage with CPU header.

Anyway I run 1200 RPM kazemaru on top of three hundred. At 770 -800 RPM's in mobo controlled, fan is silent. If you put your ear maybe 2" away from motor, you can hear small ticking sound. Fan vibrates slightly when positioned vertically on top and generates the tick then.

On Horizontal fan doesn't generate any vibration at 1200 rpm nor lower and its surprisngly quiet even at 12v. I have no doubt though that Kaze-maru is superior to antec 140mm tri-cool. I am also quite confident that horizontal mounting isn ot "optimal" for Kaze-Maru in sound-wise as it generates slight tick ( you need to be very close to hear it ) and vibrations which it doesn't do on vertical mounting.

Still, Kaze-Maru is very, very nice fan.

c_g_f

Post by c_g_f » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:15 pm

echn111 wrote:So are these fans any good in terms of their cooling power to noise ratio?

Or more specifically, compared to a standard 120mm fan, at the same (low) noise level, does it push more air in (A) open air and (B) under restriction such as in front of a radiator or heatsink?

Even informal feedback would be useful.
I've just read in Scythe's site that at the same speed (1200rpm) the 120mm Slip Stream that I already have give more CFM and less noise than the 140mm Kaze Maru.. that just doesn't seem right to me..

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:38 pm

I wouldn't rely on the specs on the manufacturer's site.

These fans seem to push more air at lower RPM's than comparable 120mm fans, so the Kaze Maur works for me. Then again, of course it should: it's a 140mm fan. Just make sure you have a fan controller to get the best noise/rpm/cfm ratio.

When I get a case that takes 140mm fans, I hope Scythe comes out with a 160mm version.

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 am

In the review of the Zipang 2, they test the SY1425SL12ML (1000RPM) which is just a tad below the SY1425SL12M (1200RPM) retail version.

Article is on this site, can't post URLs (postcount) but it's this one...
article965-page7.html
This fan proved to be one of the quietest ever tested
Strongly considering a couple of these for my rig. Only downside is the sleeve bearing, meaning a possible increase in noise with horizontal mount.

joetekubi

know ur japanese

Post by joetekubi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 am

jhhoffma wrote:
jaganath wrote:

As far as I know:
My wife grew up in Japan, and I know a bit,

Kaze is the wind.
Kame Kazekozo is the God of Wind.

Hence the common use of Kaze in Scythe product names.

Maru is the sea, commonly used in ship's names.

-joe