Are programs like Speedfan and fancontrol bad for some fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

twoscoreandfour

Are programs like Speedfan and fancontrol bad for some fans?

Post by twoscoreandfour » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:12 am

As the title suggests, I would like to know whether running programs like Speedfan (windows) and fancontrol (Linux) which simulate PWM are bad for your standard 3-pin non-PWM fan.

The man page of fancontrol says :
Please be careful when using the fan control features of your mainboard, in addition to the risk of burning your CPU, at higher temperatures there will be a higher wearout of your other hardware components, too. So if you plan to use these components in 50 years, maybe you shouldn't use fancontrol at all. Also please keep in mind most fans aren't designed to be powered by a PWMed voltage.

In practice it doesn't seem to be a major issue, the fans will get slightly warmer, just be sure to have a temperature alarm and/or shutdown call, in case some fan fails, because you probably won't hear it anymore ;)
While it does say in practice that it is not a major issue, the possibility of my fan failing unexpectedly is worrying. Reading through the SPCR reviews it seems the preferred way to lower fan speed is by lower voltage. The problem with this for me at least is that it doesn't allow you to dynamically change fan speed based on temperature.

Is this a non-issue? If not is there a way to set the voltage being applied to the actual fan headers via the OS?

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:49 pm

I haven't heard anyone report any issues relating to a failed/failing fan due to speedfan or power management. The only issue with speedfan that I've come across is that it is blocked when a game using GameGuard is run. GameGuard nullifies your sensor readings and thus fan control is negated. This can cause overheating and possibly damage your components, especially for overclocking gamers. The reason for blocking speedfan is unknown.

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:48 pm

The issue is not related to the process of changing fan speeds. It is connected to the fact that all PC components have shorter lifespans when used under higher temperatures. If you make the fans spin slower, this increases overall temperatures, thereby slightly shortening the lifespan of your PC (in general, not just fans). This is a known tradeoff, but it is not a problem as long as your upgrade cycle stays under 5 years, and you use quality components.

twoscoreandfour

Post by twoscoreandfour » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Oh right, I guess I was just being paranoid.

Thanks