Dynex Best Buy PC Case Fans are Yate Loon

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gopherbob

Dynex Best Buy PC Case Fans are Yate Loon

Post by gopherbob » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the PC fans made under the "Dynex" name brand are made by Yate Loon. I noticed the "yate loon ring" on the fan sticker and when I purchased some (employee price) I noticed the yate loon "smell".

I don't know if the Yate Loon smell has been mentioned on here but all the Yate's I have come in contact with have a semi-petroleum smell that is very unique.

I also noticed on one of the fan hubs it says GP34 which if I remember correctly might also point to yate loon.

Lastly these fans are great (unlike whoever made the previous dynex fans). They have a very smooth sound and their blade design seems to also point to yate loon as the manufacturer.

The pricing of these fans is far from the normal yate loon price you would find online but I thought it was interesting enough to take some pictures and share.

Here are links to them online for reference. In those pictures it shows the old horrible model made by someone else. The new ones actually use the 4/3pin already attached and do not have a 4 pin adapter like pictured.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6004520483

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6004520415

there are a couple pictures... yea if your wondering thats the blue led yate loon i turned green on one rainy day.

Also if enough people care i can take a picture of it next to one of the orange blade/black frame yate loons.

Anyway I just thought it was kinda cool especially since the Dynex fans have been trash for years.
Last edited by gopherbob on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

you can tell I'm a complete forum noob... I have never put images in a thread... ever!

*images taken care of!*

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:12 am

Maybe it's just me, but the Dynex fans seem to have a much sharper trialing edge and corner than the Y/L (at least compared to the one pictured). But I don't have mine with me right now to be sure.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:10 am

I have yate loons with the much more "triangular" trailing edge. there has been some debate about this before, it seems the D12SL12 (and the Nexus-branded equivalent) have two different blade designs, one that is more flat and paddle-like, like the Scythe S-Flex, and one that is more tapered and angular, like the one in the picture. whether there is actually any difference in terms of noise and airflow is still an unsettled issue, AFAIAA.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:18 am

See, and my only personal reference that I have easy access to is my D12SM-12 in a drawer somewhere. I'm pretty sure that has the more rounded corners.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:18 am

the fan with the black center piece is a 120mm orange blade yate loon and the other NF-xxx with the white center piece is a dynex medium speed 120mm.

Yate loon has a sleeve bearing and the dynex has two ball bearings. The dynex is a bit loud for my taste but a simple lowering of the rpms makes it pur like a quiet kitten.

Last pictures I will take of these. Just wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure the Dynex fans are manufactured by yate loon at least at the moment anyway.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the Yate Loon "smell"? It's plastic has a semi-petroleum smell that no other fan has... that I have smelled anyway!

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Eww... crotch shot.

Just run the UL number on the Dynex fan: E189702. It's Yate Loon.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Eww... crotch shot.
Well, we know he's not Jewish, thats not a big nose ;)

Andy