Help Understanding

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ScruffyDogg

Help Understanding

Post by ScruffyDogg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Antec Sonata III case, e7200 OC to 3.6ghz, xigmatek s1283, 6gb ram (4 slots), 2 hd, 2 dvd drives,... 8800gt with accelero s1,...

I have a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard with 4 fan headers, 2 are 4 pin and 2 are 3 pin

I will have a HSF controlled via cpu header 4 pin that adjusts rpm based on heat through bios settings.

I will have 2 case fans that I would like controlled and 1 gpu fan to be controlled,... none of these fans have been bought yet,... so open for ideas there in conjunction with overall plan.

I would like the gpu rpms to be controlled based on temp,... hopefully automatic, but open to manual adjustment via software or such.

The two case fans, I would like somewhat static, but able to be controlled either through a front bay controller or software, so that if running in the Arizona hot summers I can just adjust if needed. These need to run quiet, but able to ramp up due to summer heat,.. so I am against permanent speed mods.

What suggestions do you have?

maf718

Post by maf718 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Usually on those gigabyte P35 boards (I think it's the same for all models) only the two 4-pin headers are controllable, either by bios or software, so your options for controlling two case fans will be limited to bay controllers. You could use this to control your graphics fan too if you wanted.

As for the fans themselves, I'm guessing that case takes 120mm fans? Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm might be a good choice for you, they are very quiet when running at low rpm but shift a lot of air when turned up to full.

ScruffyDogg

Post by ScruffyDogg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, that confirms my feelings and thoughts,... which for various reasons have been muddied lately,...

I think the slipstream 1200 models are my choice on this build. I had been considering those for the case fans,... they should be ideal with a controller. I see no reason for more since this thing is running cool as is now, but don't want to be stuck with heat when this case is next to the window facing the afternoon sun, once summer comes around again.

Anyone with good recommendations on a cheap fan controller,... a 2+ fan controller for 3.5" bay would be ideal if under $25 approximately. Or a nice 4+ controller for the 5.25" bay for under $35 approximately (giving more options down the road)

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm

maf718 wrote:Usually on those gigabyte P35 boards (I think it's the same for all models) only the two 4-pin headers are controllable
On the budget DS3L it's just the one (CPU fan). :(

The Sunbeam reviewed here looks to be a decent controller, judging by the large heatsinks it's a linear design, not PWM, so shouldn't have any noise problems. Still fairly easy to find in silver or black and under $20.