Quiet 140mm Fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: United States

Quiet 140mm Fans?

Post by mikeo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Any suggestions in the 140mm size?

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Scythe Kaze Maru 500rpm is quiet enough for me.

mikeo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: United States

Post by mikeo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.

thejamppa
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears
Contact:

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Kaze-maru is 140mm fan with 120mm holes. If you need true 140mm silent case fan, I recomend Yate-Loon DS14L-12
If seeing is believing, how can blind person believe in anything?
Maturity is just not experience in life but also ability to make compromises.

jhhoffma
Posts: 2131
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:16 am

thejamppa wrote:Kaze-maru is 140mm fan with 120mm holes. If you need true 140mm silent case fan, I recomend Yate-Loon DS14L-12
He means D14SL-12...
HTPC: OrigenAE X11|Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H|Phenom II x3 740BE w/AC Freezer 7|150GB Velociraptor|Corsair VX450
Main: Antec 300 (SlipStream @ 800rpm/140mm @ 5v)|Asus M4A88TD-M|Phenom II x4 945 (Mugen2 pass.)|Asus EAH6850|Samsung 830 128GB|Antec TP750
WHS: DF-85|P8H67-M Pro|I5-3450S/Hyper 212+|Corsair AX650|Sandisk Extreme 240GB, 2xWD20EARS, 2x WD15EARS, WD15EADS

thejamppa
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears
Contact:

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 am

jhhoffma wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Kaze-maru is 140mm fan with 120mm holes. If you need true 140mm silent case fan, I recomend Yate-Loon DS14L-12
He means D14SL-12...
Indeed, I accidently pressed both D and S at the same press and did not noticed.
If seeing is believing, how can blind person believe in anything?
Maturity is just not experience in life but also ability to make compromises.

mikeo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: United States

Post by mikeo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am

Yes, being the worst typist on the planet, I figured something like that happened ;-)

silence
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Worcester, MA

Post by silence » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Just as a FYI, the D14SL-12 will develop bearing noise when mounted horizontally. It is a 140mm fan with the motor hub of a 120mm fan, and as such the bearing is not up to the additional load of the larger blades.
Opteron 1356 - Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P - 4GB Corsair PC6400 - VisionTek HD4770 - M12 600 - P183 - Xigmatek S1283 - Scythe Fans

pcy
-- Vendor --
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:46 am
Location: Central London, England

Post by pcy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 am

Hi,

I have to admit that I have not found this to be a problem.

For the same airflow, the 120mm fan has to run at about 40% higher rpm. Bearing load is proportional to the square of the rpm, so the 140mm fan running at lower speed should be fine despite teh greater mass of it's fan blades.



Peter
[url=http://www.paqt.co.uk]PaQ[/url]

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 am

I had a Thermaltake PSU for a while that had a Yate Loon D14S-M12 I think it was, mounted horizontally, and the bearing noise from it was hideous.

pcy
-- Vendor --
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:46 am
Location: Central London, England

Post by pcy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 am

Hi,

The M12 was probaly a fan rated at 1500 rpm @ 12V.


If it was running at anything like that speed I can well believe it became noisy.


You should not need to run a 140mm fan at above 800 rpm to keep a reasonable PSU cool. I have a Seasonic S-12 430W which I have modified by fitting a 140mm fan. At 250W power load and the fan running at 800rpm the output temperature of the PSU is only 2C higher than the input temperature.


Peter
[url=http://www.paqt.co.uk]PaQ[/url]

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 am

I could tell from both the tone it produced, and the frequency of the ticking / hissing that it was running at about 1000rpm at idle (high, but even so, the noise was terrible). Believe it or not, when it reached beyond 1300rpm or so the noise seemed to disappear and it became smoother.

farns
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by farns » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 pm

How does the Scythe Kaze Maru go against a 120mm slipstream for quiet/airflow ? Id guess it should be better assuming the bearings are up to it
Antec P150 + 800rpm slipstream l i3 2100 l Sapphire 5850 l WD Blue 7200rpm + 2 x 5400rpms l Enermax Pro82+ 525w l 27" 1440P screen

pcy
-- Vendor --
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:46 am
Location: Central London, England

Post by pcy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi,
samuelmorris wrote:I could tell from both the tone it produced, and the frequency of the ticking / hissing that it was running at about 1000rpm at idle (high, but even so, the noise was terrible). Believe it or not, when it reached beyond 1300rpm or so the noise seemed to disappear and it became smoother.
I don't doubt what you say, but I can only report my own experinece:

I have used about 100 a Yate Loon 140mm fans, specifed by me and desgnated as D14SM-12 by Yate Loon, on CPU coolers and on PSUs, and for Case Ventialtion, with fan speeds between 350rpm and 950rpm. In all cases there is no perceptable bearing noise and only very slight airflow noise at the higher speeds.


I think you got a fan with damaged bearings.


Peter
[url=http://www.paqt.co.uk]PaQ[/url]

thejamppa
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears
Contact:

Post by thejamppa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Usually case fans are sleeve bearing from YL while PSU's use Ballbearings, which are a lot more louder in terms of bearing noise. It would be nice to know exact type of YL's bearings though. You really cannot go compeare sleeve bearing YL's to Ball Bearing ones.

My 140mm 1000 RPM YL @ 12v (sleeve bearing D14SL-12 ) has same noise charasterics as Nexus 120mm fan which is excellent, dark and without percivable bearing noise, even when horizontally mounted.
If seeing is believing, how can blind person believe in anything?
Maturity is just not experience in life but also ability to make compromises.

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:08 am

The noise it made definitely suggested sleevebearing, and I'm pretty sure HardwareSecrets' report on it said it was a sleeve, which is why it was surprising, as Ball bearing fans are more suitable for a PSU, but in my experience tend to be slightly more abrasive in the noise they produce.

tonschk
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: London UK
Contact:

Post by tonschk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 am

samuelmorris wrote:
Ball bearing fans are more suitable for a PSU, but in my experience tend to be slightly more abrasive in the noise they produce.
I agree , ball bearings develop more abrasive noise , sleeve bearings are generally speaking more silent , the problem of sleeve bearings when installed horizontally is that sometimes ( not always ) some washers attached to the axle start to rub against each other or againgst the plastic of the internal frame around the axle and this can produce noise

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:00 am

In my experience they tend to start doing that regardless when they get old. However, I haven't had any fail completely yet, whereas I've had at least three ball bearing fans fail, in one case it started billowing smoke! (Silverstone FM121, c. 9 months age)

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:08 am

Yes, having bought a more suitable case for my Dual 4870X2s, the Coolermaster HAF, I have a rear 140mm fan slot, and the stock coolermaster one is bunk. It's quiet enough, but pushes as much air as an 80mm probably would at a reasonable noise level. Was looking at Aerocool Streamliners (more specifically the White Lightning) on the back of how impressed I've been with them in my friend's Watercooled system (they're his rad fans). Either that, the Sharkoon black fans at Scan, or the Xigmatek ones. Anybody tested any of these?

(Don't laugh at the X2s and HAF, at idle the only thing I can hear is the 1600Hz whine from my HD753LJ! ) :D

petercrab
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 am
Location: UK

Post by petercrab » Tue May 26, 2009 2:27 am

samuelmorris wrote:Yes, having bought a more suitable case for my Dual 4870X2s, the Coolermaster HAF, I have a rear 140mm fan slot, and the stock coolermaster one is bunk. It's quiet enough, but pushes as much air as an 80mm probably would at a reasonable noise level. Was looking at Aerocool Streamliners (more specifically the White Lightning) on the back of how impressed I've been with them in my friend's Watercooled system (they're his rad fans). Either that, the Sharkoon black fans at Scan, or the Xigmatek ones. Anybody tested any of these?

(Don't laugh at the X2s and HAF, at idle the only thing I can hear is the 1600Hz whine from my HD753LJ! ) :D
I am also considering the Aerocool Streamliners White Lightning. Please post how quiet you found them.

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Tue May 26, 2009 7:02 am

Unfortunately I decided to go cheap and get a Sharkoon black fan as I bought this lot from Scan, who don't sell the Aerocool fans. However, having heard the Aerocool fans in a system I still say they're worthy of consideration for people who want quiet 140mm fans with LEDs.
The Sharkoon I bought performs admirably, is quiet at idle (though its difficult to hear anything over my gaming PC's HD753LJ) and can be noisy (the 1500rpm version) but very powerful at full speed.

petercrab
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 am
Location: UK

Post by petercrab » Tue May 26, 2009 9:01 am

Thank samuelmorris.

I have found an Akasa AK-195BL a 140mm fan which I find no mention of of here. http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/sp ... 195_bl.htm

It has ok specs, no LED, and is made of questionable plastic colour.

tonschk
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: London UK
Contact:

Post by tonschk » Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 am

To be honest , I dont like LED fans , I preffer the full Black matt fans to avoid colour coordination problems inside the case ( the colors of the NOCTUA fans are horrible ) , the LED increase a lot the wattage consumed by the fan and therefore add unnecessary heat to the airflow that go through the fan ,increasing the temperature of the airflow , therefore LED fans are not for me

samuelmorris
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: York, UK

Post by samuelmorris » Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Having a light source in the case isn't to everyone's taste, but the heat argument is crazy. The LEDs in a fan only use a maximum of 0.4-0.5W, and because LEDs are very efficient, you're looking at perhaps 0.1W of heat at best. The motor in a fan produces much more heat than LEDs do.

tonschk
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: London UK
Contact:

Post by tonschk » Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm

samuelmorris wrote: but the heat argument is crazy
Yes I agree the difference in watts between the fan with LED and without LED is not huge ( 0.96W vs 1.68W ) , but I want to reach the minimum possible temperature in my computer , therefore I need to eliminate all the unnecessary heat


Coolermaster 140mm Black fan
Dimension (W / H / D) 140*140*25mm
Voltage 12VDC
Current (Ampere) 0.08 A±10%
Input (Watt) 0.96W
Speed (R.P.M.) 1000 R.P.M.
Air Flow (CFM) 60.9 CFM
Air pressure (mmH2O) 0.82 mmH2O
Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 16 dB-A
Weight 170 g
Bearing Type Sleeve
Fan Life Expectancy 35,000 hours
Connector 3 pin
Screws 4 pcs

Blue LED silent fan 140mm
Dimension (W / H / D) 140 * 140 * 25 mm
Voltage 12VDC
Current (Ampere) 0.14A± 10%
Input (Watt) 1.68W
Speed (R.P.M.) 1000 R.P.M.
Air Flow (CFM) 60.9 CFM
Air pressure (mmH2O) 0.82 mmH2O
Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 16 dB-A
Weight 170 g
Available Color 4 Blue LED
Bearing Type Sleeve
Fan Life Expectancy 35,000 hours
Connector 3 Pin
Screws 4 pcs
3 to 4 pin Adapter 1 pcs

Zeroignite
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Post by Zeroignite » Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 am

For LEDs, the vast majority of that power draw is turned into light, not heat. As said before, they are really efficient. THe difference will have no measurable affect on temperature, especially if the fan is exhaust so the extra 1/10 watt is venting out the back.

swivelguy2
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:18 pm
Location: Illinois, USA

Post by swivelguy2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:07 am

Most of it is turned into light, but once that light hits some surface inside the case, it ends up as heat too.

However, I agree that half a watt of LED power isn't going to change anything. You could also maybe find a way to clip the LED leads and disable it without affecting the fan.

silence
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Worcester, MA

Post by silence » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:17 am

I've tried the Aerocool offerings and found them to be obtrusively bright and not perform well with any resitriction. They are actually a thinner fan (20mm), and since there is a large amount of space between the edge of the blades and the inside of the frame, the fans exhibited a noticeable amount of "blowback" when mounted behind any type of grill or restriction.

So, after being unsatisfied with the Yate Loon and Aerocool options, I have since been using the Scythe Kaze-Maru 140mm 1200RPM version and have had zero issues with them. Undervolted to about 800RPM or less they perform flawlessly, and they're reasonably cheap from Newegg. The design of the hub supports makes them almost perpendicular to the blades, helping to keep them quiet. I don't understand the logic behind people writing these fans off because they are a "fake" 140mm design. The fan blades ARE larger and longer than many 120mm fans, despite the position of the mounting holes (notice how much closer the mounting holes are to the fan blades?).
Opteron 1356 - Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P - 4GB Corsair PC6400 - VisionTek HD4770 - M12 600 - P183 - Xigmatek S1283 - Scythe Fans

thejamppa
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears
Contact:

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 am

silence wrote:I don't understand the logic behind people writing these fans off because they are a "fake" 140mm design. The fan blades ARE larger and longer than many 120mm fans, despite the position of the mounting holes (notice how much closer the mounting holes are to the fan blades?).
The problem arises when you need 140mm fan for 140mm place that has screw holes only for 140mm fans, like Antec Three Hundred's top. It can be mounted but with some tinkering. I wish Kaze-Maru's would be supplied with 120mm and 140mm screw holes...
If seeing is believing, how can blind person believe in anything?
Maturity is just not experience in life but also ability to make compromises.

petercrab
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 am
Location: UK

Post by petercrab » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:00 pm

thejamppa wrote:
silence wrote:I don't understand the logic behind people writing these fans off because they are a "fake" 140mm design. The fan blades ARE larger and longer than many 120mm fans, despite the position of the mounting holes (notice how much closer the mounting holes are to the fan blades?).
The problem arises when you need 140mm fan for 140mm place that has screw holes only for 140mm fans, like Antec Three Hundred's top. It can be mounted but with some tinkering. I wish Kaze-Maru's would be supplied with 120mm and 140mm screw holes...
so do I. There still arn't any properly good fans that come with proper 140mm mounts. The soon to be release noctua 140mm has 120mm mounts as well.

Post Reply