Noctua always on full speed... can q-fan control it?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rellaghs

Noctua always on full speed... can q-fan control it?

Post by rellaghs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi,

- I recently bought a Noctua nf-p12 for xigmatek s1283 and it's running on full speed all the time.
- I previously had scythe kama pwm with 4 pins conected so it work properly.
- I want the fan to be controlled automaticly so I can have air flow when I'm pushing the CPU. (got used to pwm fans)

My question is, isn't Asus Q-fan capable of controling 3 pin fans on the CPU-fan connector? (Q-fan is controling all my other fans, I don't understand why it cant control the cpu fan... ) I've also tried Speedfan with no sucess... but I really dont want another program running on windows background..

thanks

Specs:

mb: asus p5k-e wifi
q6600 not OC'd @2.4 TEMP : 33ºc idle ; 45ºc load
4gb ddr2 800
asus 9600gt silent
case fans -> arctic cooling

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:07 pm

It sounds like you have 3-pin fan on PMW plug and Bios tries to control PMW fan. You probably need to check you have correct type control in use. If you can, you should change option to Voltage or Non-PMW or how its named on Asus...

With Q-fan enabled you cannot use Speedfan. You need to disable Q-fan first. You need to check if Q-fan has setting for fan type. My Gigabyte boards I can choose wether its auto ( doesn't work well ) PMW or Voltage. If fan type if PMW, my 3pin fans run full power, if I choose voltage, then 3-pin fans work correctly.

I am not sure Asus boards but do check that option. You have 3-pin case fans? Some asus boards have separate menu you can choose each case fan and cpu fan type PMW or non-PMW type as has also in Gigabyte boards.

rellaghs

Post by rellaghs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:56 pm

I cant find where to change the fan type..
and now i've realized that even my chasis fans aren't changing speed...
so Q-fan seems not to be working at all...
Here are some pics of what my bios settings show (not my pc though, but its exacly the same)

I've set my chasis fans ratio to run at 70% so they are slower than the cpu fan but arent changing speed..
All my chassis fans are pwm, so they have only 3 pins of their 4 pins connected.. not sure if that's something to do to anything..
I've tried disabling Q-fan to control with speedfan and it didnt work too, but that's not my point.. I'd really wanted to have Q-fan working...

maf718

Post by maf718 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:44 pm

In the last year or so many motherboards have been released that only allow PWM fan control on the cpu header (ie no control of 3-pin fans). :( I don't know if this affects your motherboard, but it's worth bearing in mind if no-one can supply you with a working solution.